The MD-PhD Student Advisory Board is an organization made up of MD-PhD students at Johns Hopkins, with the goal of giving back to the program with student-driven initiatives. We have several sub-committees focused on student input into existing events, projects, and recruiting. We also have several new programs such as MSTP-specific advising and professional development to serve our needs as trainees. While we currently have the following sub-committees, we are always open to new members and ideas.
Chairs: Dustin Gable and Shira Ziegler
- Events Committee: provides student input into annual events such as the Annual Program Retreat, Fall/Spring Dinner and Evening Discussion, and Revisit Weekend.
- Social Committee: organizes events for informal networking and fun
- Professional Development & Ethics Committee: plans events for professional development and career building. Example events/projects include a PD book club on negotiation skills, a seminar on dealing with harassment, and compiling lists of eligible grants and award applications.
- Ambassadors Committee: coordinates student recruiting at conferences and undergraduate campuses, organization of interview days, student hosting for MD-PhD interviewees, and interviewee dinners.
- Mentoring Committee/Advising Program: provides and coordinates a new program for MD-PhD-specific advising, connecting physician scientist faculty and fellows with students at all stages in the program to provide vertical mentorship.
- Website/technology: Design and maintain content on the official Hopkins MSTP website, manage Facebook group