Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
733 N. Broadway, BRB 852
Baltimore, MD 21205
443-287-2953 - Phone
443-287-2954 - Fax
Polina Sysa Shah received her M.D. from V.N.Karazin Kharkiv National University, School of Fundamental Medicine, Kharkiv, Ukraine in 2003. During her studies she participated in the project of comparison of power spectral analysis and mathematical modeling of heart rate variability for estimation of neurohumoral regulation, and received an Award for the report “Neurohumoral regulation in the mirrors of power spectral analysis and mathematical modeling of heart rate variability” at VI International Medical Congress of Students and Young Scientists held in Ternopil, Ukraine in 2002.
During residency in Department of Cardiology in Kharkiv Central Clinical Hospital №5, Ukraine, she specialized in adult cardiology.
She entered Postdoctoral Fellowship in Division of Gastroenterology, Johns Hopkins University in 2004, where studied the role of TGFβ1 and transacting factors cooperation in activation of the human α1(I) collagen promoter.
She joined the Department of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology in 2008 as Postdoctoral Fellow, and was appointed as Faculty in 2010.
Her research interests concentrate on investigating the ways of overcoming the cardiotoxic effects of anti-cancer drugs, animal models of cardiac diseases and electrophysiologic features of transgenic animal models.
September 16, 2009 - Anatomy of the eye. Lecture. Clinical Pathology Lectures Series. Department of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology. Johns Hopkins University.
2003-2004 - Teacher Assistant in Radiology Course. V.N.Karazin Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
- Sysa-Shah P, Xu Y, Guo X, Bedja D, Bartock R, Tsao A, Hsieh A, Wolin MS, Moens AL, Raman V, Orita H, Gabrielson KL. Geranylgeranylacetone blocks doxorubicin-induced cardiac toxicity and reduces cancer cell growth and invasion through RHO pathway inhibition. Mol Cancer Ther. 2014. Apr 15. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24737026
- Auer DR, Sysa-Shah P, Bedja D, Simmers JL, Pak E, Dutra A, Cohn R, Gabrielson KL, Chakravarti A, Kapoor A. Generation of a cre recombinase-conditional Nos1ap over-expression transgenic mouse. Biotechnol Lett. 2014 Jun;36(6):1179-85. PMID: 24563304
- Yap KL, Sysa-Shah P, Bolon B, Wu RC, Gao M, Herlinger AL, Wang F, Faiola F, Huso D, Gabrielson K, Wang TL, Wang J, Shih IeM. Loss of NAC1 expression is associated with defective bony patterning in the murine vertebral axis. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 26;8(7):e69099. PMCID: PMC3724875
- Bhang, H., Tsuchiya, N., Sysa-Shah, P., Winkelmann, C.T., Gabrielson, K., 2013. In Vivo Small Animal Imaging: A Comparison with Gross and Histopathologic Observations in Animal Models. In: Haschek, W.M., Rousseaux, C.G., Wallig, M.A. (Eds.), Haschek and Rousseaux's Handbook of Toxicologic Pathology. Elsevier Inc., Academic Press, pp. 287–315.
- Sysa-Shah P, Xu Y, Guo X, Belmonte F, Kang B, Bedja D, Pin S, Tsuchiya N, Gabrielson K. Cardiac-specific over-expression of epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (ErbB2) induces pro-survival pathways and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in mice. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e42805. PMCID: PMC3415416
- Pramanik D, Campbell NR, Das S, Gupta S, Chenna V, Bisht S, Sysa-Shah P, Bedja D, Karikari C, Steenbergen C, Gabrielson KL, Maitra A, Maitra A. A composite polymer nanoparticle overcomes multidrug resistance and ameliorates doxorubicin-associated cardiomyopathy. Oncotarget. 2012 Jun;3(6):640-50. PMCID: PMC3442295
- Sysa P, Potter JJ, Liu X, Mezey E. Transforming Growth Factor-β1 Up-Regulation of Human α1(I) Collagen Is Mediated by Sp1 and Smad2 Transacting Factors. DNA and Cell Biology, 2009. 28:9, 425-434. PMCID: PMC2858396
- Aram G, Potter JJ, Liu X, Sysa P, Mezey E. Effect of Nitric Oxide on Type I Collagen Expression in Cultured Stellate Cells. The Open Nitric Oxide Journal, 2008. Vol.1. pp.5-8 (4).
- Sysa P, Potter JJ, Liu X, Mezey E. TGFβ1 stimulates the human α1(I) collagen promoter by cooperation between Smad2/4 and Sp1 transacting factors. Hepatology; 2007. Vol.46, number 4 (Suppl), 710A-711A