Professor of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology
Professor of Pathology
Professor of Neurology
Director of Academic Training, Dept of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology
Background and Training
B.S. Cornell University, Neurobiology and Behavior
D.V.M. Cornell University
Ph.D. Johns Hopkins University
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
The Mankowski lab group studies the immunopathogenesis of HIV infection using the SIV/macaque model.
Pathogenesis of HIV-induced nervous system and cardiac disease processes
HIV is well known for its ability to induce loss of CD4+ T cells leading to immune suppression manifest as AIDS. HIV infection also causes debilitating disease in the brain, the peripheral nervous system, and in the heart secondary to infection of macrophages. Although virus-induced damage to these organs is common, the pathogenesis remains poorly defined. Using the SIV/macaque model of HIV, we use a multidisciplinary approach to dissect the mechanisms underlying these diseases, including the central role of macrophage activation.
Host genetics and lentiviral-induced CNS disease
The role that host genetics play in HIV-associated cognitive disorders is poorly understood. We have identified a novel association between expression of a MHC class I allele in pigtailed macaques and SIV-induced CNS disease that sets the stage for studies defining how MHC class I-mediated control of SIV replication in the brain influences SIV CNS disease outcomes.
Students and Postdoctoral Fellows
Sarah Beck, DVM, PhD – Postdoctoral Fellow
Lisa Mangus, DVM - PhD candidate in the Cellular and Molecular Medicine Graduate Program
Graduate Program Appointments
Pathobiology Graduate Program
Cellular and Molecular Medicine Graduate Program
Dr. Mankowski provides diagnostic pathology support for the diverse animal species used in biomedical research at Johns Hopkins.
- Helke KL, Queen SE, Mankowski JL. 14-3-3 Protein in CSF Reflects SIV-Mediated Pre-Synaptic Damage. Current HIV Research, June 2013, 11(4)281-7. PMID 24016180
- Kelly KM, Beck SE, Metcalf Pate KA, Queen SE, Dorsey JL, Adams RJ, Avery L, Hubbard W, Tarwater PM, Mankowski JL. Neuroprotective Maraviroc Monotherapy in SIV-infected Macaques: Reduced Replicating and Laten SIV in the Brain. AIDS, October 2013. PMID 24051706
- Metcalf Pate KA, Lyons CE, Dorsey JL, Queen SE, Adams RJ, Morrell CN, Mankowski JL. TGFβ mediated downregulation of thrombopoietin is associated with platelet decline in asymptomatic SIV infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, Nov 2013. PMID24220290
- Baxter VK, Shaw GC, Sotuyo NP, Carlson CS, Olson EJ, Zink MC, Mankowski JL, Adams RJ, Hutchinson EJ, Metcalf Pate KA. Diagnosis of Bone and Gastrointestinal Disease in the common Marmoset (Callithrix jacchus), PLoS One, 2013
- Mangus LM, Dorsey JL, Laast VA, Ringkamp M, Ebenezer GJ, Hauer P, Mankowski JL. Unraveling the Pathogenesis of HIV Peripheral Neuropathy: Insights from an SIV/macaque Model. ILAR Journal, 2014; 54(3): 296-303. PMID 24615443
- Akay C, Cooper M, Odeleye A, Jensen BK, White MG, Vassoler F, Gannon PJ, Mankowski JL, Dorsey JL, Buch AM, Cross SA, Cook DR, Pena M, Andersen ES, Christofidou-Solomidou M, Lindl KA, Zink MC, Clements J, Pierce RC, Kolson DL and Jordan-Sciutto KL. Antiretroviral Drugs Induce Oxidative Stress and Neuronal Damage in the Central Nervous System. J Neurovirology, 2014.
- Tuxbury KA, Shaw GC, Montali RJ, Clayton LA, Kwiatkowski NP, Dykstra MJ, Mankowski JL. Fusarium solani species complex associated with carapace lesions and bronchitis in captive American horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus). In press, Diseases of Aquatic Organisms.
- Dorsey JL, Mangus LM, Oakley JD, Beck SE, Kelly KM, Queen SE, Metcalf Pate KA, Adams RJ, Marfurt CF, Mankowski JL. Loss of Corneal Sensory Nerve Fibers in SIV-infected Macaques: An Alternate Approach to Investigate HIV-induced PNS Damage. In press, Am J Pathology, 2014.
- Kelly KM, Tocchetti CG, Lyashkov A, Bedja D, Graham DR, Beck SE, Metcalf Pate KA, Queen SE, Adams RJ, Paolocci N. Mankowski JL. CCR5 Inhibition Prevents Cardiac Dysfunction in the SIV/Macaque Model of HIV. April 2014 JAHA PMID 24695652.