Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Robert J. Adams, D.V.M., Diplomate ACLAM
Dr. Adams serves as the Associate Provost for Animal Research and Resources and the Director of Research Animal Resources. He is an Associate Professor of Comparative Medicine in the Department of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology. He serves on the Institutional Animal Care and Use (IACUC) and Biosafety Committees (IBC)
Expertise and Research
Dr. Adams received his D.V.M. from New York State College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University in 1973. Following 14 months in private small-animal practice, Dr. Adams entered the post-doctoral training program in laboratory animal medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in October, 1974. Following 3 years of training, he joined the faculty of the Division of Comparative Medicine as an Instructor. In 1985 he was promoted to Associate Professor. He was board-certified by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine in 1979 and was names Director of Animal Services and Laboratory Animal Services that same year. In 2008 he was named Interim Associate Provost and Director of Research Animal Resources, and in 2012 was promoted to his current positions. His research interests are laboratory animal medicine; animal facility design and operation; and nonhuman primate diseases
Relevant Recent Articles
- Ebenezer GJ, McArthus JC, Polydefkis M, Dorsey JL, O’Donnell R, Hauer P, Adams RJ, Mankowski JL. SIV-induced impairment of neurovascular repair: a potential role for VEGF. J Neurovirol. 2012 May 2. PMCID: PMC3804009
- Lin W-H, Kouyos RD, Adams RJ, Grenfell B, Griffin DE. Prolonged persistence of measles virus RNA is characteristic of primary infection dynamics. PNAS, April 5, 2012. PMCID: PMC3443140
- Rosenberg YJ, Laube B, Mao L, Jiang X, Abanto S, Keunmyong DL, Adams R. Pulmonary delivery of an aerosolized recombinant human butylcholinesterase pretreatment protects against aerosolized paroxon in macaques. Chemico-Biological Interactions, 203:167-71, 2013 PMCID: PMC3594399
- Pate KAM, Lyons CE, Dorsey JL, Shirk EN, Queen SE, Adams RJ, Gama L, Morrell CN, Mankowski JL. Platelet activation and platelet-monocyte aggregate formation contribute to platelet decline during acute SIV infection in pigtailed macaques (Macaca nemestrina). J Infect Dis 2013 Sep:208(6): 874-83. PMCID: PMC3749014
- Lin W-H, Adams R, Rolland A, Sullivan S, Griffin D. Vaxfectin adjuvant improves antibody responses of juvenile rhesus macaques to a DNA vaccine encoding the measles virus hemagglutinin and fusion proteins. Accepted JVI, 2013 PMCID: PMC3676108
- Dorsey JL, Mangus LM, Oakley JD, Beck SE, Kelly KM, Queen SE, Pate KAM, Adams RJ, Marfurt CF, Mankowski JL. Loss of corneal sensory nerve fibers in SIV-infected macaques: an alternate approach to measure HIV-induced PNS damage. Amer J Path 2014 184:6 1-8. PMID: 24828391
- Kelly KM, Beck DE, Pate KAM, Queen DE, Dorsey JL, Adams RJ, Avery L, Hubbard W, Tarwater PM, Mankowski JL. Neuroprotective maraviroc monotherapy in SIV-infected macaques: reduced replicating and latent SIV in the brain. AIDS, 2013 Sep 18. PMID: 24051706
- Baxter VK, Shaw GC, Sotuyo NP, Carlson CS, Olson EJ, Zink MC, Mankowski JL, Adams RJ, Hutchinson EK, Pate KAM. Serum albumin and body weight as biomarkers for the antemortem identification of bone and and gastrointestinal disease in the common marmoset. PLoS ONE, December 6, 2013. PMCID: PMC3855796
- Pate KM, Lyons C, Dorsey JL, Queen SE, Adams RJ, Morrell CN, Mankowski JE. TGFb mediated downregulation of thrombopoietin is associated with platelet decline in asymptomatic SIV infection. JAIDS, November 11, 2013 PMCID: PMC3999250
- Kelly KM, Tocchetti CG, Lyashkov Al, Tarwater PM, Bedja D, Graham DR, Beck SE, Mtecalf Pate KA, Queen SE, Adams EJ, Paolocci N, Mankowski JL. CCR5 inhibition prtevents cardiac dysfunction in the SIV/Macaque model of HIV. J Am Heart Assoc 2014;3:1-8. PMID: 24695652
- Karen K, Deal C, Nielsen C, Adams R, Ward C, Espinosa D, Zavala F, Ketner G. A replicating adenovirus capsid display recombinant elicits antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum sporozoites in Aotus Monkeys. Submitted 2014.