FOR SUBMISSION: FEBRUARY 1, 2004
memo dated 12/23/2003
1) Awards will be made for pilot projects to explore a new direction
for a program; nurture an especially innovative idea; explore an unconventional
but potentially important hypothesis; or test the feasibility of a research
2) A review panel composed of senior faculty members will judge applications.
High priority will be given to project innovativeness and potential
3) All Hopkins’ faculty members may apply, whether or not they
are members of The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center. However,
an investigator may hold only one pilot project award at a time.
4) Grants will be made in the range of $10,000 to $150,000 (direct costs)
for a period of one-year with the potential for one renewal year upon
reapplication. Funds may be used for the salaries of postdoctoral fellows
or technicians, for equipment, and for consumable supplies but not for
travel, faculty salaries, or other expenses.
5) Grants should be submitted electronically by using the Online
6) Applications are simple and brief and should include and
be ordered as follows:
2.-Proposed Budget and Budget Justification
4.-Background, including preliminary studies of applicant
5.-Experimental Design (Please refer to previous publications
of P.I. whenever possible).
The total length of Specific Aims, Background, and Experimental
Design sections should not exceed ten pages., using a Font of 12 and
a) Progress Report (For renewal applications only)
1 page maximum
b) Current and pending funding: Carefully
indicate reasons for non-overlap if potential overlap exists.
c) Biosketch form for all key personnel