I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Lifeline: Transfer an Adult Patient to Hopkins
How to Transfer an Adult Patient to Johns Hopkins Hospital
THE ATTENDING PHYSICIAN SHOULD CALL THE HOPKINS ACCESS LINE (HAL) TO ARRANGE A TRANSPORT AT 1-800-765-5447.
ONCE THE PATIENT IS ACCEPTED, PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO
THE HOPKINS ACCESS LINE (HAL) STAFF:
- Attending physician name and specialty.
- Primary Care Physicians name and address (if available).
- Accepting attending physicians name
- Patient Location. If at a hospital, the floor, room number and telephone number of the
floor nurses station (NOT patient room telephone number).
- Diagnosis and Plan of treatment or procedure that the patient is being transferred for
at JHH (such as cardiac cath, CABG, Open-heart etc).
- Provide a copy of a Demographic sheet to the HAL office. This will include the insurance information which will be used by the utiliztion review nurse for financial certification.
This Demographic Sheet needs to be faxed to: 1-410-614-2183.
- A Lifeline Communications Staff member will then contact the floor for further patient
triage and transport information to help determine the best appropriate method for
transport. (Factors such as Acuity of patient, weather and distance will be considered
when determining transport method).
- While the Transport Team (Air or Ground) is enroute to pick up the patient, the following
can be obtained to expedite transfer and limit bedside time:
- Copy of Chart
- Discharge Summary from the sending Hospital/Institution
- EMTALA/COBRA Transfer forms completed and signed from sending Hospital/Institution
- CMN/PCS Forms completed and signed.(Physician Certification Statement/Certification of Medical Necessity)
- Any Hard Copies of X-rays/Films that will be needed by the receiving department/physician.