Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Social workers at the Harry J. Duffey Family Patient and Family Services Program provide expert assistance with the psychological, social, emotional and practical needs of cancer patients and their families. Our masters-level social workers have expertise in the cancer field and can teach patients and family members how to manage stress and changes that come with cancer. In addition, social worker-led educational and support group meetings at Johns Hopkins are available.
Our patient-centered teams provide:
- advice on talking with children and loved ones
- cancer information and education
- counseling services for patients, families and friends
- help with overcoming communication barriers
- links to support resources
- navigation through the hospital, health care systems, medical insurance and payment
- problem-solving skills
- spiritual guidance through non-denominational chaplaincy
- support groups
- temporary housing resources
- transportation resources
- ways to manage emotions, pain and fatigue
- videos, podcasts and magazine news and education
- volunteer opportunities
Contact a Social Worker
Weinberg Building, Suite 1210
Patient and Caregiver Support Groups
The Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center offers a variety of support groups and events at the Cancer Center for patients and caregivers.
Walking on Eggshells
Walking on Eggshells is a caregiver's guide with practical, real-life direction on what to do and what to say when faced with a potentially life-limiting disease.
The Fine Print of Cancer
The Fine Print of Cancer is a video series educating patients and caregivers on topics of finances, advanced directives, hospice, caregiving, social security and more.