Social workers at the Harry J. Duffy Family Patient and Family Services Program provide expert assistance with the psychological, social, emotional and practical needs of cancer patients and their families. Our masters-level social workers have expertise in the cancer field and can teach patients and family members how to manage stress and changes that come with cancer. In addition, social worker-led educational and support group meetings at Johns Hopkins are available.
Our patient-centered teams provide:
- advice on talking with children and loved ones
- cancer information and education
- counseling services for patients, families and friends
- help with overcoming communication barriers
- links to support resources
- navigation through the hospital, health care systems, medical insurance and payment
- problem-solving skills
- spiritual guidance through non-denominational chaplaincy
- support groups
- temporary housing resources
- transportation resources
- ways to manage emotions, pain and fatigue
- videos, podcasts and magazine news and education
- volunteer opportunities
Contact a Social Worker
Weinberg Building, Suite 1210
The Fine Print of Cancer
The Fine Print of Cancer is a video series educating patients and caregivers on topics of finances, advanced directives, hospice, caregiving, social security and more.
Walking on Eggshells
Walking on Eggshells is a caregiver's guide with practical, real-life direction on what to do and what to say when faced with a potentially life-limiting disease.
In the Walking on Eggshells Guide, you will learn how to:
- Talk about cancer with family members, children, friends and employers
- Communicate with your health care team
- Become familiar with the hospital environment
- Cope with stress
- Manage anxiety, fear, sadness, anger, worry and depression
- Get organized
- Connect with services for counseling, housing, transportation, home care, hospice and palliative care
Chemo School is an introduction to chemotherapy at the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center. Chemo School is designed to take the fear out of chemotherapy for both the patient and their caregivers. From your first steps into the chemotherapy room to receiving IVs, infusions or pills, Chemo School will educate and inform the patient who is prescribed chemotherapy.
Experience the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center by taking a virtual tour of our clinical care building. "Walk" through our facilities to learn more about services and programs. Prepare for your first visit with this step-by-step guide.