Dr. Yoshinori Kato
My research interest includes comprehensive drug delivery research in cancer using nanotechnology, in particular, development of new treatment strategies and better understanding of cancer chemotherapy by integrating drug delivery systems with molecular imaging. I have been/will be involved with a number of projects, including the development of new drug carriers, theranostic probes, and imaging techniques, using several different kinds of preclinical cancer models (primary breast, brain, leukemia, and their multi-drug resistance and brain/liver/lung metastasis models).
Assistant Professor, Department of Oncology
1997- B.S. Pharmaceutical Sciences from Hoshi University, Tokyo, Japan 1997-1999- M.S. Pharmaceutics (DDS) from Hoshi University, Tokyo, Japan 1999-2002- Ph.D. Pharmaceutics (DDS) from Hoshi University, Tokyo, Japan 2002-2003- PostDoc Pharmaceutics (DDS) from Hoshi University, Tokyo, Japan 2003-2006-PostDoc MR of Cancer from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, U.S.A
1999-2000 Teaching Assistant at Dept. of Drug Delivery Research, Hoshi University, (Tokyo, Japan)
2000-2002 Research Assistant at Dept. of Drug Delivery Research, Hoshi University, (Tokyo, Japan)
2002-2003 Postdoctoral Fellow at Dept. of Drug Delivery Research, Hoshi University, (Tokyo, Japan)
2003-2006 Postdoctoral Fellow at Division of MR Research, Dept. of Radiology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.)
2006-2008 Research Associate at Division of MR Research, Dept. of Radiology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.)
2008-present Assistant Professor at Division of MR Research, Dept. of Radiology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.)
2008-present Affiliated faculty member of Institute for NanoBioTechnology at JHU (Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.)
2009-present Assistant Professor, Department of Oncology, The Sydney Kimmel Comprehensive Center at JHU (Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.)
1) KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "Evaluation of N-succinyl-chitosan as a systemic long-circulating polymer" Biomaterials21, 1579-1585 (2000).
2) KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "A novel water-soluble N-succinyl-chitosan-mitomycin C conjugate prepared by direct carbodiimide coupling: physicochemical properties, antitumor characteristics and systemic retention" STP Pharma Sci.10(2), 133-142 (2000).
3) KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "Biological fate of highly-succinylatedN-succinyl-chitosan and antitumor characteristics of its water-soluble conjugate with mitomycin C at i.v.andi.p. administration into tumor-bearing mice" Biol. Pharm. Bull.23, 1497-1503 (2000).
4) KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "Biological characteristics of lactosaminatedN-succinyl-chitosan as a liver-specific drug carrier in mice" J. Control. Release70, 295-307 (2001).
5) KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "Lactosaminated and intact N-succinyl-chitosans as drug carriers in liver metastasis" Int. J. Pharm. 226; 93-106 (2001).
6) KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "Efficacy of lactosaminated and intact N-succinyl-chitosan-mitomycin C conjugates against M5076 liver metastatic cancer" J. Pharm. Pharmacol.54(4), 529-537 (2002).
7) KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "Depolymerization of N-succinyl-chitosan by hydrochloric acid"Carbohydr. Res.337, 561-564 (2002).
8) KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "Tumour cell uptake of lactosaminated and intact N-succinyl-chitosans and antitumour effects of conjugates with mitomycin C" Anticancer Res.22(5); 2771-2776 (2002).
9) Katayama K., KatoY., OnishiH., Nagai T., MachidaY. "Preparation of novel double liposomes using the glass-filter method" Int. J. Pharm.248, 93-99 (2002).
10) Ishikawa O., KatoY., OnishiH., Nagai T., MachidaY. "Enhancement of transdermal absorption by switching iontophoresis" Int. J. Pharm.249, 79-86 (2002).
11) KatoY., OnishiH.,
MachidaY. "LactosaminatedN-succinyl-chitosan: Preparation and biodistribution into the intestine, bone, lymph nodes and male genital organs after i.v.administration" Macromol. Res., 11(5), 382-386 (2003).
12) Katayama K., KatoY., OnishiH., Nagai T., MachidaY. "Double liposomes: hypoglycemic effects of liposomal insulin on normal rats" Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm.29(7), 725-731 (2003).
13) Ebato Y., KatoY., OnishiH., Nagai T., MachidaY. "In vivo efficacy of a novel double liposome as an oral dosage form of salmon calcitonin" Drug Develop. Res.58, 253-257(2003).
14) Yamabe K., KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "In vitro characteristics of liposomes and double liposomes prepared using a novel glass-beads method" J. Control. Release90(1), 71-79 (2003).
15) Yamabe K., KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY. "Potentiality of double liposomes containing salmon calcitonin as an oral dosage form" J. Control. Release89(3), 429-436 (2003).
16) TakahashiY., KatoY., OnishiH., MachidaY., IwataM., YamadaR., NakajimaH. "Simple detecting method of adrenocorticosteroid in external preparations -Combination of thin-layer chromatography and color reaction by blue tetrazolium-" Skin Research2, 87-93 (2003).
17) Machida Y., OnishiH., KatoY., MachidaY. "Efficacy of nanoparticles containing irinotecan prepared using poly(DL-lactic acid) and poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(propylene glycol)-poly(ethylene glycol) against M5076 tumor in the early liver metastatic stage. STP Pharma Sci.13(4), 225-230 (2003).
18) Sotoishi N., KatoY., OnishiH., Nagai T., MachidaY. "Enhancing effect of switching iontophoresis on transdermal absorption of sodium benzoate in vivo" J. Pharm. Sci. Technol., Jpn.63(1), 20-28(2003).
19) Takehana J., KatoY., OnishiH., Nagai T., MachidaY. "Applicability of switching iontophoresis with special reference to its influence on rat skin" STP Pharma Sci.13(4), 253-258 (2003).
20) Inoue K., OnishiH., KatoY., MichiuraT., NakaiK., SatoM., YamamichiK., MachidaY., NakaneY. "Comparison of intraperitoneal continuous infusion of floxuridine and bolus administration in a peritoneal gastric cancer xenograft model" Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol.53, 415-422(2004).
21) Mironchik Y., WinnardJr P.T., Vesuna F., KatoY., Wildes F., Pathak A.P., Kominsky S., Artemov D., Bhujwalla Z.M., Diest P.V., Burger H., Glackin C., Raman V. "Twist overexpression induces in vivo angiogenesis and correlates with chromosomal instability in breast cancer" Cancer Research 65(23),10801-10809(2005).
22) Kato Y., Okollie B., Artemov D. "Non-invasive 1H/13C magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging of the intratumoral distribution of temozolomide" MagnReson Med 55(4), 755-761 (2006).
23) Kato Y., Okollie B., Raman V., Vesuna F., Zhao M., Baker S.D., Bhujwalla Z.M., Artemov D. "Contributing factors of temozolomide resistance in MCF-7 tumor xenograft models" Cancer BiolTher 6(6), 891-897 (2007).
24) WinnardJr P.T., Kluth J.B., KatoY., Artemov D., Raman V. "Development of novel chimeric transmembrane proteins for multimodality imaging of cancer cells" Cancer BiolTher 6(12), 1889-1899 (2007).
25) Mikhaylova M., Stasinopoulos I., KatoY., Artemov D., Bhujwalla Z.M. "Imaging of cationic multifunctional liposome-mediated delivery of COX-2 siRNA" Cancer Gene Ther. 16(3), 217-226 (2009).
26) KatoY., Artemov D. "Monitoring of Release of Cargo from Nanocarriers by MRI/MRS: Significance of T2/T2* Effect of Iron Particles"Magn. Reson. Med. 61, 1059-1065 (2009).
27) KatoY., Holm A.D., Okollie B., Artemov D. "Noninvasive detection of temozolomide in brain tumor xenograft by magnetic resonance spectroscopy"Neuro-Oncology, 12(1), 71-79 (2010).
28) Onuki Y., Jacobs I., Artemov D., Kato Y. "Noninvasive visualization of in vivo release and intratumoral distribution of surrogate MR contrast agent using the dual MR contrast technique" Biomaterials 31(27), 7132-7138 (2010).
29) Qiao Y., Huang X., Nimmagadda S., Bai R., Staedtke V., Foss C.A., Cheong I., Holdhoff M., KatoY., Pomper M.G., Riggins G.J., Kinzler K.W., Diaz L.A., Vogelstein B., Zhou S. "A robust approach to enhance tumor-selective accumulation of nanoparticles"Oncotarget2, 59-68 (2011).
29) KatoY., OnishiH., Machida Y. "Utilities of chitin and chitosan for hospital preparation" Pharm Tech Japan 18, 595-601 (2002).
30) KatoY., OnishiH., Machida Y. "Application of chitin and chitosan derivatives in the pharmaceutical field" Curr. Pharm. Biotechnol.4(5), 303-309 (2003).
31) KatoY., OnishiH., Machida Y. "N-Succinyl-chitosan as a drug carrier: Water-insoluble and water-soluble conjugates" Biomaterials 25(5), 907-915 (2004).
32) KatoY., OnishiH., Machida Y. "Contribution ofchitosan and its derivatives to cancer chemotherapy." In Vivo 19, 301-310 (2005).
33) Har-el Y., Kato Y. "Intracellular delivery of nanocarriers for cancer therapy." Curr. Nanosci. 3(4), 329-338 (2007).