Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Radiation Therapy for Esophageal Cancer
At The Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, having the latest and most advanced radiation treatment technology is just the beginning in our approach to helping you fight esophageal cancer. We also excel at knowing how, where and when to apply the technology for your unique needs and to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Why Choose Johns Hopkins for Radiation Treatment
We understand that it’s not easy for some patients to come here for daily treatment, so we make sure to deliver the highest quality of service and compassionate care while you’re with us. We offer our patients:
- Hard-to-find expertise: Radiation oncologists who specialize in esophageal cancer treatment have specific experience and expertise that is rare. Our radiation oncologists at Johns Hopkins treat more esophageal cancer patients than any other center in our region. We are skilled in providing targeted radiation therapy to save healthy tissue and improve our patients’ recovery times. Meet our team.
- The safest, most effective approach: For esophageal cancer patients, our team of doctors and cancer care specialists will often recommend neoadjuvant therapy—giving chemotherapy and radiation treatment before surgery. Johns Hopkins oncologists helped to pioneer this now widespread approach, which we continue to perfect and tailor to your specific needs. Learn more about our approach to esophageal cancer treatments.
- Personalized treatment: We plan radiation treatment that is personalized to your unique diagnosis, prognosis, situation and needs. Our experts may use intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) for a patient whose tumor is best treated with this technology. We may also use 3D conformal radiation for some patients.
- Healthy tissue protection: We do our utmost to protect your healthy tissue. We have an expert understanding of the newest safety parameters, and we choose to err on the side of caution. Radiation is a powerful tool that is most effective when used by an experienced team who understands the unique features of a patient’s tumor.
- The ultimate in coordinated care: Our center is one of the few where all of your surgeons, doctors, dieticians, nurses and other specialists meet together to develop your personalized treatment plan. We’ll make sure you are fully informed, involved and guided through every step of your fight. Learn more about our patient support services.
Hear from Dr. Russell Hales, Director of the Thoracic Oncology Multidisciplinary Program, about our multidisciplinary approach to esophageal cancer.
Meet Our Radiation Oncologists
Assistant Professor of Oncology
Director, Thoracic Oncology Multidisciplinary Program
Recent interviews, podcasts, and articles:
- Meet Dr. Russell Hales
- The Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center Multidisciplinary Clinic
- Radiation Oncology
Meet our team and learn more about all of our esophageal cancer specialists.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.