Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Expand to see the full terms and conditions. To move forward to the policies page, please accept the terms and conditions by selecting the "I Accept" button below.
You will have access to JHHC Medical Policies and Guidelines for the purpose of gaining information.
- Johns Hopkins HealthCare Medical Policies are developed to assist in administering plan benefits and do not constitute medical advice. Treating providers are solely responsible for medical advice and treatment of members. Members should discuss any policy changes related to their coverage or condition with their treating provider.
- While the Medical Policies are developed to assist in administering plan benefits, they do not constitute a description of plan benefits. The Medical Policies express Johns Hopkins HealthCare's general determination of whether certain services or supplies are medically necessary, experimental and investigational, or cosmetic. Each benefit plan defines which services are covered, which are excluded, and which are subject to dollar caps or other limits. Members and their providers will need to consult the member's benefit plan to determine if there are any exclusions or other benefit limitations applicable to this service or supply.
- While Medical Policies define Johns Hopkins HealthCare's general clinical policy, medical necessity determinations in connection with coverage decisions are made on a case by case basis In the event that a member disagrees with a coverage determination, Johns Hopkins HealthCare provides its members with the right to appeal the decision. In addition, a member may have an opportunity for an independent external review of coverage denials based on medical necessity or regarding the experimental and investigational status when the service or supply in question for which the member is financially responsible is $500 or greater. However, applicable state mandates will take precedence with respect to fully insured plans and non-ERISA (e.g., government, school boards, church) plans. For information on Johns Hopkins HealthCare's External Review Program contact Care Management.
- The five character codes included in the Johns Hopkins HealthCare Medical Policies are obtained from Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®), copyright 2006 by the American Medical Association (AMA). CPT is developed by the AMA as a listing of descriptive terms and five character identifying codes and modifiers for reporting medical services and procedures performed by physicians.
- The responsibility for the content of Johns Hopkins HealthCare Medical Policies is with Johns Hopkins HealthCare and no endorsement by the AMA is intended or should be implied. The AMA disclaims responsibility for any consequences or liability attributable or related to any use, nonuse or interpretation of information contained in Johns Hopkins HealthCare Medical Policies. No fee schedules, basic unit values, relative value guides, conversion factors or scales are included in any part of CPT. Any use of CPT outside of Johns Hopkins HealthCare Medical Policies should refer to the most current Current Procedural Terminology which contains the complete and most current listing of CPT codes and descriptive terms. Applicable FARS/DFARS app
COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS/USE OF CONTENT
The entire contents of this Web Site (including all information, software, text, displays, images and audio) and the design, selection and arrangement thereof, are proprietary to Johns Hopkins Healthcare or its affiliates and licensors and are protected by United States and international laws regarding copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets and other proprietary rights. You are authorized only to use the content on the Web Site for legitimate business purposes related to your role as a provider of services to employees of the Company. You may not copy, modify, create derivative works of, publicly display or perform, republish, store, transmit or distribute any of the material on this site without the prior written consent of Johns Hopkins Healthcare, except to: (a) store copies of such materials temporarily in RAM, (b) store files that are automatically cached by your Web browser for display enhancement purposes, and (c) print a reasonable number of pages of the Web Site; provided in each case that you do not alter or remove any copyright or other proprietary notices included in such materials. Neither the title nor any intellectual property rights to any information or material in this Web Site are transferred to you, but remain with Johns Hopkins Healthcare in writing, you may not reproduce, sell or exploit for any commercial purposes (a) any part of this Web Site, (b) access to this Web Site or (c) use of this Web Site or of any services or materials available through this Web Site.
The name Johns Hopkins, Johns Hopkins Healthcare and the logo and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans are trademarks of Johns Hopkins and/or its affiliates. You may not use such marks without the prior written permission of Johns Hopkins Healthcare. All other names, brands and marks are used for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.