1. Volunteers Needed
We are studying whether Alpha Lipoic acid, a potent antioxidant and over-the-counter product, reduces blood levels of markers of inflammation in the blood vessels when compared with placebo. Placebo is a substance that looks like the real product, but contains no active product. There will be up to six visits in 12 weeks. Blood tests will be done to check glucose and cholesterol levels to help determine your study eligibility.
- Male or female, aged 40 to 80 years
- If female, you must be post-menopausal or sterilized and not be on hormone therapy
- In addition, you must have at least three of the following conditions:
- Controlled diabetes, but not taking medication
- Moderately overweight
- Stable high blood pressure
- High cholesterol, but are not taking a statin medication
- Current or recent smoking
- Previous heart attack or stroke
- Some medications or other medical conditions may exclude you from participating
Compensation is available. For more information or to participate in the study, please call 410-550-HART (4278).
PI: Pamela Ouyang, MBBS