Skip Navigation
Print This Page


What CPE Programs does Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center offer?

The Johns Hopkins Bayview CPE Program offers all three levels of CPE: Level I, Level II and Supervisory. This includes an initial unit, which is considered Level I training. Level I training is offered during Summer Intensives and the Part-Time Intern Program. Every new student begins with Level I training, even if they have completed other academic or related clinical education.

Level II training is offered through the Part-Time Intern Program. Students working with Level II Outcomes will have completed at least one prior unit of CPE and completed Level I training.

Supervisory CPE is the third level of training offered. In this program, students learn the art of pastoral supervision.

How do I know which of the available programs is best for me?

Most applicants choose the program that fits best with their schedules. If one works full-time and would like to incorporate CPE training, then the part-time option would be best. If one is a seminarian and has the summer free, then the Summer Intensive makes sense. Consider schedule and time constraints in order to decide which program fits best. Keep in mind that CPE training is intensive, and most students have freed their schedules dramatically in order to fully benefit from the program.

How do I apply?

The Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center official application can be downloaded. If you have problems downloading this file, please call 410-550-7569. and request the application as an attachment to an e-mail.

When should I apply?

You may check the dates for each of our programs and application deadlines on our Educational Calendar. We receive many applications, and decisions are made several months in advance of the start of a CPE unit.

How long does it take to find out if I am accepted?

Typically, you can expect to wait several weeks for an answer.

Tell me more about the Part-Time Intern CPE Program.

The part-time program at Johns Hopkins Bayview is designed to offer CPE training to those who choose to receive units of CPE on a part-time basis. Because groups meet once a week and students have specified, flexible clinical hours, many students continue their present employment while participating in the program. Part-time CPE students participate in the weekend on-call rotation, and one unit of accredited CPE training is granted after approximately six months.

What is the usual schedule for a student in the Part-Time Intern CPE Program?

All of our CPE Programs follow the standards set forth by ACPE, Inc. which include a minimum of 300 hours of hospital visitation and a minimum of 100 hours of education.

A typical week will include five hours of group/educational meetings on a particular day of the work week. Eight hours of daytime hospital visitation (between the hours of 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.) is expected during a work week. Every other week, you will also be on-call in the hospital for clinical emergency needs for approximately twelve hours.

Is a stipend available for part-time students?

A stipend is not available for students in the Part-Time Intern Program or the Summer Intensive Program.

Who will be my supervisor?

The CPE calendar shows the supervisory assignments to date. Sometimes these assignments may change as circumstances change.

What does CPE cost, and are scholarships available?

Tuition for a unit of CPE is $725. There is an application fee (one time) of $50 which is not applied to the tuition. When accepted $100 is required to hold the spot in the CPE unit which is applied to the tuition. There are no scholarship programs available to date.

I am an international student. How do I enroll in CPE?

International students should the same application process as other students. Ability to participate in the CPE unit will be ascertained during the interviewing process. International students would need either a student or work VISA.

Do I have to be ordained to do CPE?

No. However, most of the applicants accepted into CPE programs are ordained and endorsed. A CPE student must be in good standing within their respective faith traditions.

May I receive academic credit for CPE?

Many theological schools and seminaries grant academic credit for CPE. One may contact them directly for this information. St Mary's Seminary/Ecumenical Institute in Baltimore gives such credit.

May I get CPE credit for previous work/ministry experience?

No. However, your previous work/ministry experience will be considered during your application process.

I want to be a Chaplain or a Pastoral Counselor. Do I need CPE?

The Association of Professional Chaplains (, the National Association of Catholic Chaplains ( and the National Association of Jewish Chaplains ( and other organizations certify chaplains. The American Association of Pastoral Counselors ( trains and certifies pastoral counselors. Some CPE is required as a prerequisite. One should contact these organizations directly about their requirements.

May I do CPE online or through some other distance learning process?

We currently do not offer distance learning programs.

I live in Baltimore and am a local ordained minister (Imam, Rabbi, Priest, Monk, etc.). May I volunteer to visit patients at The Johns Hopkins Hospital without taking CPE?

Clinical Pastoral Education is a prerequisite to volunteering in any capacity through the Department of Pastoral Care. However, all are welcome and encouraged to visit your parishioners and members of your religious community.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy and Disclaimer