Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Academic Hospital Medicine Elective for Residents
Hospital Medicine is a rapidly growing medical field. At Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, more than 35 hospitalists are committed to delivering excellent inpatient care. In addition to clinical responsibilities, we conduct various quality improvement projects and clinical research, are heavily involved in students and residents education, and play major roles in various hospital committees.
We are offering two to four-week elective experience to residents who are interested in the field of academic hospital medicine focusing not only on clinical inpatient medicine, but also on the topics listed in "Health Care Systems" section of the Society of Hospital Medicine Core Competencies where residents typically receive little education during their training.
- Goals of the Elective
- Elective Details
- Elective Application Form
- Contact Information
- Information For Accepted Residents
Applicant must be a resident (PGY 1-3) in an ACGME-accredited internal medicine or family medicine residency program
Two to four weeks
Monday through Friday, no calls or overnight duties
Number of Resident Accepted
One resident at any given time
Hospitalist-Oriented Medical Education (HOME) Team Scholars (selected hospitalist providers who have interest in education)
- Increase the resident's understanding of the field of academic hospital medicine.
- Increase the understanding of healthcare system topics that are under-taught in residency.
At the end of his or her elective, the resident will be able to:
- Explain multiple roles hospitalists play at Johns Hopkins Bayview.
- List three domains of the Society of Hospital Medicine Core Competencies.
- List the impacts of effective triaging on patient throughput.
- Explain the issues with the transitions of care between hospitalists and primary care providers, and list several ideas to improve the issue.
- Learn different research/ educational projects, and quality improvement initiatives in which hospitalists are involved.
- Explain the advantages of continuity of care and explain how this is reflected in hospitalist’s working schedule at Johns Hopkins Bayview.
- Write consultation notes in recommended format.
The elective experience will include, but not limited to:
- Work with our hospitalists doing clinical shifts at Johns Hopkins Bayview.
- Perform at least one medical consultation with a hospitalist.
- Complete recommended hospital consultation online modules.
- Experience Triage shift with a hospitalist.
- Shadow a case manager.
- Attend a committee meeting with the hospitalists.
- Attend grand round (on Tuesdays).
- Meet with the hospitalists to learn more about their academic projects.
- Meet with one of the academic hospital medicine fellows to learn more about advanced training in hospital medicine.
- Opportunities to participate in quality improvement projects.
- Opportunities to learn literature search skills.
- Attend mini-billing and coding training.
*Please apply by at least four weeks prior to your preferred start date.
Haruka Torok, M.D.
Director, Academic Hospital Medicine Elective
Flora Kisuule, M.D., MPH
Associate Division Director, Division of Hospital Medicine
Administrative Secretary, Division of Hospital Medicine
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.