Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
The department of Rehabilitation at JHBMC (Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Speech Therapy) offers a comprehensive program for cancer patients during their treatment. Our therapists have specialized training in cancer rehabilitation through the STAR program (Survivorship Training and Rehabilitation Program). This specialized training allows us to provide the best care for cancer patients. Our program’s goal is to maximize your quality of life and independence in function by providing an individualized treatment plan that focuses on your specific needs. We also provide education for family and caregivers.
The Cancer Rehabilitation program treats
- Problems with walking
- Decreased joint range of motion
- Problems with balance
- Decreased ability to perform daily activities
- Numbness in hands and feet
- Osteoporosis or low bone density
- Lymphedema (swelling)
- Decreased energy and fatigue
- Bladder and bowel incontinence or pelvic pain
- Swallowing problems
- Impaired speech
- Impaired cognition, concerns of patient safety
- Impaired sleep
Our therapists provide the following:
- Mobility retraining
- Pain Management
- Improving strength, range of motion and flexibility
- Improving balance
- Fall prevention education
- Energy conservation and fatigue management
- Lymphedema and edema management
- Retraining in how to complete your daily activities.
- Stress management and sleep training
- Cognitive/Safety assessment and intervention
- Swallowing assessment and intervention
- Augmentative communication
- Electro larynx therapy and training
Diagnoses we can help include:
- Breast cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Lung cancer
- Gynecological and Urogenital cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Brain and spinal cord cancer
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.