Research interests in the Neurosciences Critical Care Division include intracranial hemorrhage, acute ischemic stroke management, post-neurosurgical management, ICU care, coma, seizures, neuromuscular disease, outcomes research, CNS infections, etc. Research activities funded by the National Institutes of Health and other national foundations include basic laboratory, translational and clinical investigations.
A renowned author, Edward Sylvester has also written about the Johns Hopkins NCCU group and the subspecialty of neurocritical care. Sylvester's book, "Back From the Brink" (Dana Press, New York, 2004) takes the reader into the evolving world of Neurocritical Care with its physicians and patients.
Collectively, the NCCU physicians have published the "Handbook of Neurocritical Care" (Human Press, 2004). Their individual or group publications can be accessed by Medline.
Some of the recent journal issues edited by NCCU staff include:
- "Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage," an issue of Neurosurgical Clinics, Editors: Paul Nyquist, Neeraj Naval and Rafael Tamargo (Elsevier, 2008)
- “Neurologic Critical Care,” an issue of Neurologic Clinics Vol. 26, Editors: R Geocadin and R Stevens (Elsevier, 2008)
- “Inflammatory diseases and infection,” an issue of Current Opinion in Neurology Vol 21, Editor: W Ziai (Wolters and Kluwer, 2008)
- “Neurological Complications in Critical Illness: A Focus on Mechanisms,” An Issue of Critical Care Clinics Vol 24, Editor: R Stevens (Elsevier 2008)
- “Update in Neurosciences Critical Care,” an issue of the Journal of the Neurological Sciences Vol 261, Editors: R Carhuapoma and M Mirski (Elsevier, 2007)
- “Neurologic Critical Care,” an issue of Critical Care Clinics Vol. 22, Editors: R Geocadin and R Stevens (Elsevier, 2007)
- “Brain Injury and Cardiac Arrest,” an issue of Neurologic Clinics Vol. 24, Editor: R Geocadin (Elsevier, 2006)
- “Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy,” an issue of Seminars in Neurology Vol 26, Editor: R Geocadin (Thieme, 2006)