Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
The Metabolic Bone and Osteoporosis Center offers a variety of services and treatment options, designed to prevent, diagnose and treat skeletal disorders. Experts in endocrinology, geriatrics, orthopaedics and nursing collaborate and work with each patient and family to develop personalized treatment plans. Services and treatment options include:
- Comprehensive osteoporosis assessments
- Expert evaluations of skeletal disorders
- On-site DXA bone density scanning
- Bisphosphonate infusions
- Nutrition assessments
- Balance and strength training
- Tailored physical activity program development
- Fall risk evaluation and prevention
- On-site X-rays
- Evaluation of individualized osteoporosis treatment regimens
- Bone biopsy and histomorphometry
- Specialized imaging such as parathyroid sestamibi-SPECT
- Consultations with highly experienced endocrine surgeons
- Fracture rehabilitation
DXA Bone Density Scanning
Experts at the Metabolic Bone and Osteoporosis Center specialize in performing and analyzing DXA (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) bone density scans. A DXA scan is safe, non-invasive and painless, and is one of the most accurate ways to diagnosis osteoporosis. It also is commonly used to perform instant vertebral fracture assessments and detect previously unrecognized spinal fractures.
The National Osteoporosis Foundation suggests that women over age 65, men over age 70 and anyone age 50 or older who has already had a fracture should undergo a DXA scan. It also is recommended for individuals with conditions that pre-dispose them to bone loss, such as hormonal prostate or breast cancer treatments, parathyroid or thyroid disorders, certain medications such as steroids, those with significant height loss, transplant patients and women who underwent menopause before age 45.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.