Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
We have a wealth of elective opportunities for residents at Johns Hopkins Bayview and across all the campuses of Johns Hopkins University. In addition, we encourage our residents to take advantage of the whole world of diverse clinical and non-clinical experiences that meet their needs and interests. These opportunities enrich the professional and personal development of our residents and enhance their abilities to care for the patients they serve.
As a resident at Johns Hopkins Bayview, you can elect to spend part of your training anywhere in the world, as long as the elective relates to your professional development. We have no particular site restrictions, but the Department of Medicine faculty members - many who hold joint appointments at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health - can help you find an experience that matches your interests.
In addition, we support an educational fund to which residents may apply for financial support towards electives or other professional development activities.
Examples of recent elective experiences include:
- International clinical and research electives in China, India, Barbados, Zambia, South Africa, and Uganda
- Clinical electives at the Indian Health Service sites, such as the Tuba City Indian Medical Center of the Navajo Nation in Arizona
- Research and public health advocacy at the Baltimore and New York City Health Departments
- Research at NIH institutes, such as the National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute
- Research at government agencies, such as the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Research at non-profit organizations, such as the National Resources Defense Council
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.