The Harrison Medical Library is located on the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus and is open to Hopkins faculty and staff.
Fall 2014 Medical Library Internship Opportunity Now Available
Click here or see below for more information.
In addition to providing access to a wide variety of information resources, library staff members offer a number of services, including:
- participation on clinical rounds to support evidence-based care
- presentations to hospital departments and community groups
- individual and self-paced instruction
- mediated literature searches
- maintenance of hospital archives
Patients and families are encouraged to use the Community Health Library when visiting the hospital.
The Harrison Medical Library has an unpaid library internhip opportunity available for the fall 2014 semester. The intern will gain a working knowledge of how a community hospital library functions, while experiencing the challenging demands of an academic research clientele.
Interns will have opportunities to work with library staff on several tasks, including:
- Assistance with outreach efforts to patients by providing reliable health information directly to inpatients, as well as visiting outpatient clinics
- Marketing of library services
- Mediated literature searching
- Clinical rounds
- Collection and archiving of faculty publications
- Library management
A successful applicant should:
- Be comfortable in a clinical setting
- Be a good communicator and listener
- Have good service skills
- Be able to push/pull a book cart
Internship hours will be scheduled during the library hours of operation (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited Masters of Library/Information Science program and have an interest in medical librarianship.
- Recent graduates (within the last year) from an ALA-accredited program will also be considered.
- The library intern will be considered a hospital volunteer and will be required to complete a separate volunteer services application. The hospital will conduct a background check and two TB tests as part of this process.
Interested persons should send resumes to Linda Gorman, MLS, library director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted through Friday, August 15.