Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Selected Educational Programs
Book-smart doctors can lack emotional intelligence. Some may appreciate patients' worries and fears; others might not be able to fathom how a disease affects patients' daily lives. There are even brilliant physicians who ignore their own emotions and biases without realizing it. The Osler Center develops and partners with programs that train physicians at all levels to heighten their awareness.
- A program has been developed to teach all Johns Hopkins medical students to blend communications skills, clinical reasoning and joint decision making in treating patients.
- A collaborative program involving Johns Hopkins Writing Seminars faculty and School of Medicine faculty has been developed to teach medical students writing and reflections skills related to doctor-patient relationships.
- One group of internal medicine residents takes a one-month, in-depth course on communication skills and the psychosocial problems their patients are likely to encounter.
- In an evening continuing education program, practicing physicians learned communication skills for addressing patients' concerns and feelings. Program evaluation showed improvements in their performance and their patients' health.
- A curriculum on managing patients with substance abuse disorders has been developed for internal medicine residents.
- A curriculum on leadership has been developed for medical students.
- The Healer’s Art elective has been made available to Hopkins medical students: a curriculum designed to help medical students identify, strengthen and cultivate the human dimensions of medical practice.
- A curriculum on the collaborative longitudinal management on complex outpatients with multiple problems is being developed for medical students, nursing students and residents, and nurse practitioner students.
- An internet based residency curriculum in ambulatory medicine that serves over 130 teaching hospitals.
In every case -- from early training to office practice -- the Osler Center demonstrates how physicians can learn from clinical experience to enhance their own personal and professional growth, improve their relationships with patients and families, and improve care.
The Osler Center for Clinical Excellence at Johns Hopkins is proud to announce funding of the following grants:
- Bridging the Postpartum Gap: Mommy and Me Transitional Care
Wendy Bennett, M.D., MPH; Sarah Polk, M.D., SCM; Shari Lawson, M.D.; Laura Hanyok, M.D.; Heather Agee, M.D.
- The Transitions of Care Curriculum. A project to implement and evaluate the Transitions of Care Curriculum to improve the quality of resident physician education and enhance the safety of care transitions for patients admitted to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Colleen Christmas, M.D.; Nassery Najlla, M.D., MPH; Justin Lafreniere, M.D.; Evelyn Gatecha, M.D.; Nancy Schoenborn, M.D.; Fatima Sheikh, M.D.
- Advancing Teaching and Coaching of Learners in the Ambulatory Setting: Developing and Implementing a Validated Observation Tool to Evaluate Ambulatory Teaching
Laura Hanyok, M.D.
- Expanding Communities of Care: A Medical-Religious Participatory Approach to Training Lay Health Advocates as Informal Caregivers
Rebeca Rios, Ph.D.; W. Daniel Hale, Ph.D.; Panagis Galatsatos, M.D.; Lisa A. Cooper, M.D., MPH
- Development of On-Line Geriatric Psychiatry Curriculum for Medical Students
Rebeca Rios, Ph.D.; Susan Lehmann, M.D.; Patrick Hemming, M.D.
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Primary Care and Health Status of Buprenorphine-Maintained Individuals in Office-Based Treatment – Developing a Prospective Cohort
Amina Chaudhry, M.D., MPH (with Michael Fingerhood, M.D.; Richard Moore, M.D., MHS; Eric Strain, M.D.)
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Influence of Hospital Environment, Provider and Patient Related Factors on Patient Satisfaction
Zishan Siddiqui, M.D. (with Daniel Brotman, Albert Wu, Shalini Chandra, M.D.)
- With New Duty Hour Restrictions, What Gets Squeezed Out of Residency: A time-motion study of patient care by residents following 2011 work hour restrictions
Lauren Block, M.D.; Sanjay Desai, M.D.; Lenny Feldman, M.D.; Albert Wu, M.D., MPH
- The Use of Social Media to Promote Medical Humanism and Professionalism
Tabor Flickinger, M.D., MPH; Patricia A. Thomas, M.D.; Margaret S. Chisolm, M.D.
- Measuring Patient Satisfaction with Hospitalist’s Care: Development and Validation of the Tool to Assess Inpatient Satisfaction with Care from Hospitalists (TAISCH)
Haruka Torok, M.D.; Zishan Siddiqui, M.D.; Sharon Ghazarian, Ph.D.; Scott Wright, M.D.
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Enhancing the Medical School Learning Environment: Impact of Longitudinal Student-Faculty Advising Relationships within Learning Communities on Students’ Humanistic Attitudes and Professional Development
Robert Shochet, M.D.
- Empirical Study of Student Responses to the Implicit Association Test (IAT) as an Educational Method to Raise Self-Awareness if Implicit Racial Bias
April S. Fitzgerald, M.D.; Mary Catherine Beach, M.D., MPH
- Understanding the Relationship of Social Capital and Obesity in an Urban Housing Complex
Kimberly A. Gudzune, M.D., MPH; J. Hunter Young, M.D., MHS; Craig Pollack, M.D., MHS, MA
- Bayview Patient Connection: A pilot project to implement and evaluate an ambulatory intensive care experience for high utilizing Medicaid patients in an internal medicine residency continuity clinic
Laura Hanyok, M.D.; Marc Larochelle, M.D.; Melissa Dattalo, M.D., MPH; Huy Do, D.O.; Fernanda Porto Carreiro, M.D.; Sean Tackett, M.D.; Ryan Childers, M.D.; Wendy Bennett, M.D., MPH
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Study of Patient-Provider Communication During Hospitalization
Zackary Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Needs Assessment for a Curriculum on Prison Medicine and Re-Entry for an Urban Health Residency
Jennifer Bracey, M.D. (with Romsai Boonyasai, M.D., MPH, Scott Wright, M.D. and Karran Phillips, M.D., M.Sc.)
- Faculty Scholar and Project Award: Conceptualization, Design, Implementation, Evaluation and Dissemination of a Curriculum in Integrative Medicine Taught Jointly to School of Medicine and School of Nursing Students
Anastasia Rowland-Seymour, M.D. (with Carol Libonati, MS, RN, Padmini Ranasinghe, M.D., MPH)
- Understanding of the Role of the Primary Care Provider and the Patient-Provider Relationship in the “Practice-Based Opportunities for Weight Reduction (POWER)" Trial
Wendy Bennett, M.D., MPH, Jeanne Clark, M.D., MPH, David Levine, M.D., Sc.D., MPH, Lawrence Appel, M.D., MPH
- Perspectives on Treatment Adherence among HIV Positive Individuals with Medical Comorbidities
Anne Monroe, M.D., MSPH, Richard Moore, M.D., MHS
- Community Snapshot Curriculum for an Urban Health Residency
Rosalyn Stewart, M.D., MS, MBA, Leonard Feldman, M.D., Chris Gibbons, M.D., MPH
- Patient-as-Teacher in the Internal Medicine Clinic: Perceptions of their Contributions to Resident Education
Leah Wolfe, M.D., Edith Vargo, M.D., L. Randol Barker, M.D., Sc.M.
- A Study to Understand How Responsibility and Information are Transferred in Hospital Hand-Offs
Romsai T. Boonyasai, M.D., MPH; Scott M. Wright, M.D.; and Albert W. Wu, M.D., MPH
- A Question Of Empathy: Do Students’ Communication Behaviors Differ When Interacting With Real Patients Versus Standardized Patients?
Sarah L. Clever, M.D., MS; Joseph Cofrancesco, Jr., M.D., MPH; and Debra Roter, Ph.D.
- Developing A Leadership Curriculum For Medical Students
April Fitzgerald, M.D.; David Levine, M.D.; Bimal Ashar, M.D., MBA; Redonda Miller M.D., MBA; Elizabeth Catherwood, BS; and Hsin-Chieh (Jessica) Yeh, Ph.D.
- Perspectives Of South Asians Living In The U.S. On End-Of-Life Medical Care
Rashmi Kumar M.D., MHS; and Joseph Carrese M.D., MPH
- The Johns Hopkins Urban Medicine and Pediatrics Primary Care Leadership Training Program: Program Development Support
Rosalyn Stewart, M.D., MS, MBA; Leonard Feldman, M.D.; Myron Weisfeldt M.D.; George Dover, M.D.; Julia A. McMillan, M.D.; Charles M. Wiener, M.D.; Randy Barker, M.D.; and Steve Sisson, M.D.
2008-2012: Daniels Initiative
- A Multi-Year Project Funded by the Daniels Family to Create Collaborative Nursing and Medical Training to Improve the Collaborative Longitudinal Outpatient Care of Patients with Multiple Medical Problems
L. Randol Barker, M.D., Sc.M.; Kathleen Becker, DNP, CRNP; Karan Cole, Sc.D; Laura Hanyok, M.D.; Rosalyn Steward, M.D., Elizabeth Tanner, PhD, RN; Benita Walton-Moss, Ph.D., RN
- Development of a Brief Video to Impact Clinician Respect and Empathy Toward Patients with Sickle Cell Disease
Mary Catherine Beach, M.D., MPH; Neda Ratanawongsa, M.D., MPH, Sophie Lanzkron, M.D.; Mark T. Hughes, M.D., MA; Rochelle V. Brown, M.D., MS
- Building Relationships in HIV Care: The Role of Emotional Dialogue
Mary Catherine Beach, M.D., MPH; Richard D. Moore, M.D., MHS; Debra L. Roter, Dr.P.H.; Gail V. Berkenblit, M.D., Ph.D.
- Substance Use Disorders For The Internist: A Curriculum for Internal Medicine Residents and Faculty
Amina Chaudhry, M.D., MPH, Edith Vargo, M.D.
- Utilizing Audit and Feedback to Improve Hospitalists' Performance in Tobacco Dependence Counseling
Flora Kisuule, M.D., MPH; Scott Wright, M.D.
- Practicing Empathy: A Reflective Writing Seminar
Rachel Levine, M.D., MPH; Wayne Biddle; Eric Bass, M.D., MPH
- Increasing Our Understanding of Philanthropy to Academic Medicine
Scott Wright, M.D.; Rosalyn Stewart, M.D.; Leah Wolfe, M.D.; Richard Paisner; John A. Flynn, M.D., MBA; Heidi Minken; Joe Carrese, M.D., MPH
- Qualitative Study Exploring Female Physicians’ Decisions to Leave Academia
Fenny Lin, M.D., Joseph A. Carrese, M.D., MPH, David E. Kern, M.D., MPH, Rachel B. Levine, M.D., MPH, Scott M. Wright, M.D.
- Patients in Recovery (PIR): an Interactive Approach to Substance Dependence Education for Medical Students
Karran A. Phillips, M.D., M.Sc., Amina Chaudhry, M.D., MPH, Alexander Y. Walley, M.D., Eric B. Bass, M.D., MPH
- Clopidogrel Adherence and Stent Choice in the Application of Drug-Eluting Stents (CASCADES)
Neda Ratanawongsa, M.D., MPH, Jeffrey M. Zimmet, M.D., Ph.D., Neil R. Powe, M.D., MPH, MBA
- Measuring the Impact of an Advising Template for Medical Students
Rosalyn Stewart, M.D., MS, Bimal Ashar, M.D., MBA, Sara Clever, M.D., Rachel Levine, M.D., MPH, Barry Solomon, M.D.
- Measuring the Healer's Art: Short-term Outcomes of a Curriculum to Help Medical Students Identify, Strengthen and Cultivate the Human Dimensions of the Practice of Medicine
Sarah L. Clever, M.D., MS; Gail Geller, Sc.D.
- A Study to Develop and Validate the SPIKES Mini-CEX: a Tool for Assessing Giving Bad News
Mark Hughes, M.D.; Craig Bowen, Ph.D.; Danielle Doberman, M.D.; Grace Cordts, M.D., MPH, Rosemarie Maraj, M.D.; Patricia Thomas, M.D.; Rose Zaeske, BA
- Medical Student Satisfaction with a Formalized College Advisory Program
Rachel B. Levine, M.D., MPH; Bimal Ashar, M.D., MBA; Robert Shochet, M.D.; Rosalyn Stewart, M.D.; Scott M. Wright, M.D.
- Challenges and Rewards in Provider-Patient Relationships
Neda Ratanawongsa, M.D.; Joseph A. Carrese, M.D., MPH; Scott M. Wright
- The Johns Hopkins Medical Writing Seminars: A Pilot Writing Program for Promoting a Humanistic Approach to Medicine
Monique Aurora Tello, M.D.; Wayne Biddle; Eric B. Bass, M.D., MPH; Sarah Clever, M.D., MS; Rachel B. Levine, M.D., MPH
- Effects on Older Patients of the Closure of a Medical Clinic to Their Community
Scott Wright, M.D.; Mary Anne Nidiry, M.D.; Aysegul Gozu, M.D., MPH
- Enhancing Resident Communication Skills in HIV Prevention: Pilot of Web-Based Video Glossary
Gail V. Berkenblit, M.D., Ph.D.; Josseph Cofrancesco, Jr., M.D., M.P.H., Susan Larson, M.S.; Darius Rastegar, M.D.; Debra Roter, Dr. P.H.,
- The Healer's Art: A Curriculum to Help Medical Students Identify, Strengthen and Cultivate the Human Dimensions of the Practice of Medicine
Sarah L. Clever, M.D., M.S.; Gail Geller, Sc.D., Charlie Wiener, M.D.
- A Pilot Study of Educational Interventions to Assess and Address Resident Knowledge, Attitudes and Skills of Clinical Informed Consent
Mark T. Hughes, M.D., M.A.; Ruth M. Farrell, M.D., M.A.; Jon C. Tilburt, M.D.; Joseph A. Carrese, M.D., M.P.H.; Jeremy Sugarman, M.D., M.P.H.
- Patient-Centered Communication Skills among Second Year Medical Students
Eboni G. Price, M.D., M.P.H.; Lisa A. Cooper, M.D., M.P.H.; Donna M. Windish, M.D., M.P.H.; Jeffrey Magaziner, M.D.
- A Qualitative Study of Resident Well-Being
Neda Ratanawongsa, M.D.; Joseph Carrese, M.D., M.P.H.; Scott Wright, M.D.
Selected Publications By Center Faculty* And Fellows*
One measure of influence nationally and internationally is publications. Center / Division faculty, fellows and grantees also give innumerable talks, workshops and courses for other professionals at regional, national and international professional meetings and in the Johns Hopkins Faculty Development Program for medical educators. These are all forms of dissemination of work related to the mission of the Osler Center.
Articles that are the Products of Osler Center Grants:
- Windish D.M, Price E.G, Clever S.L, Magaziner J.L, Thomas P.A. Teaching medical students the important connection between communication and clinical reasoning. J Gen Intern Med. 2005;20:1108-13.
- Ratanawongsa N., Wright, S.M., Carrese J.A. Well-being during residency: a time for temporary imbalance? Medical Education 2007; 41:273-80.
- Shapiro A.E. An uneasy understanding. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:811-2. (Student product of reflective writing seminar)
- Nidiry MA, Gozu A, Carrese JA, Wright SM. The Closure of a Medical Practice Forces Older Patients to Make Difficult Decisions: A Qualitative Study of a Natural Experiment. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23:1576-80.
- Price E.G., Windish D.M., Magaziner J.L., Cooper L.A. Assessing validity of standardized patient ratings of medical students' communication behavior using the Roter interaction analysis system. Patient Educ Couns. 2008;70:3-9.
- Ratanawongsa N., Wright S.M., Carrese J.A. Well-being during residency: effects on patient relationships, colleague interactions, performance, and motivation. Patient Educ Couns. 2008;72:194–200.
- Gozu A, Nidiry MA, Ratanawongsa N, Carrese JA, Wright SM. Patient factors associated with following a relocated primary care provider among older adults. Am J Manag Care. 2009;15(3):195-200.
- Kinsman H, Roter D, Berkenblit G, Saha S, Korthuis PT, Wilson I, Eggly S, Sankar A, Sahrp V, Cohn J, Moore RD, Beach MC. "We'll do this together": the role of the first person plural in fostering partnership in patient-physician relationships. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Mar;25(3):186-93.
- Kisuule F, Necochea A, Howe EE, Wright S. Utilizing audit and feedback to improve hospitalists’ performance in tobacco dependence counseling. Nicotine Tob Res. 2010 Aug;12(8):797-800.
- Phillips KA, Cofrancesco J Jr, Sisson S, Wu AW, Bass EB, Berkenblit G. A multicenter study of internal medicine residents' perceptions of training, competence, and performance in outpatient HIV care. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010 Mar;24(3):159-64.
- Stewart R, Feldman L, Weisfeldt M. Addressing the primary care deficit: building primary care leaders for tomorrow. J Grad Med Educ. 2010 Jun;2(2):294-6.
- Ratanawongsa N, Wright SM, Vargo EM, Carrese JA. Challenges in primary care relationships: Seeing it from both sides. Patient Educ Couns. 2011 Oct;85(1):40-5.
- Haywood C Jr, Lanzkron S, Hughes MT, Brown R, Massa M, Ratanawongsa N, Beach MC. A Video-Intervention to Improve Clinician Attitudes Toward Patients with Sickle Cell Disease: The Results of a Randomized Experiment. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 May;26(5):518-23.
- Levine RB, Shochet RB, Cayea D, Ashar BH, Stewart RW, Wright SM. Measuring medical students’ sense of community and satisfaction with a structured advising program. International Journal of Medical Education. 2011; 2:125-132 ISSN: 2042-6372.
- Levine RB, Lin F, Kern DE, Wright SM, Carrese JA. Stories from early-career women physicians who have left academic medicine: a qualitative study at a single institution. Acad Med. 2011 Jun;86(6):752-8.
- Stewart R, Wolfe L, Flynn J, Carese J, Wright SM. Success in grateful patient philanthropy: insights from experienced physicians. Am J Med. 2011 Dec;124(12):1180-5.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.