Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Programs in Curriculum Development
(Belinda Y. Chen, M.D., Director)
This is a 10-month longitudinal program for health professions educators. Participants will learn about curriculum development and evaluation through didactics, discussions and a mentored curriculum development project. This program was developed by the international experts in curriculum development and evaluation who published the widely used text on the subject: Curriculum Development for Medical Education: A Six-Step Approach.By the end of the program, participants will have designed, piloted, and presented plans for the implementation of a curriculum in medical education relevant to the needs of their own institution, as well as to their own professional careers.
The program includes:
1) Interactive workshops on each of the six steps of curriculum development:
- Problem Identification
- General and Targeted Needs Assessment
- Goals and Objectives
- Educational Strategies
- Evaluation Methods
2) Expert-led sessions on specific aspects of curriculum development, such as:
- Writing for publication and disseminating one’s work
- Searching the literature and internet for educational articles and resources
- Finding and applying for funding support
- Obtaining IRB approval
- Designing surveys
- Using simulation
- Using information technology to support medical education
3) A mentored curriculum development project, usually accomplished in teams of 2-5 participants, under the direction of a highly-trained faculty facilitator:
- Work-in-progress sessions with other curriculum development teams wherein participants present and receive feedback on different stages of their work
- Individual project team meetings with course facilitators to review progress and receive verbal and subsequent written feedback on each step of their project
- Oral abstract presentation on their project before an invited audience
- Submission of a paper on their CD projec
“One-on-one sessions with the facilitators with written feedback was invaluable.”
“I feel that I can present a curriculum to a department that is solid and that I have 'certification' to be one writing it.”
"Outstanding faculty and mentors; very well conceived and organized.”
“I did a year-long curriculum development course [elsewhere]; it pales in comparison to this CD course in the fundamental tools it proves to build a curriculum. I will use these skills for a lifetime!”
Individual workshops are offered for selected Teaching Skills and Curriculum Development content.
Introduction to Curriculum Development (half-day workshop)
- Wednesday, January 25, 2017
- Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Principles and Practice of Curriculum Development (two-day workshop)
- Thursdays, April 27 and May 4, 2017
- Mondays, May 8 and 15, 2017
Curriculum Development Practicum (Individualized mentoring sessions to guide you through the six-step model with curriculum you are developing; prerequisite is prior completion of one of our other CD workshops/courses)
- December 2015 to June 2018
To register, please contact Darilyn Rolfing at 410-550-0510 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may request a meeting to discuss planning a workshop customized to the needs of your group.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.