Onboarding New Employees to Hopkins: A Guide to Early Success
Best practice organizations provide new employees well-planned and organized orientations that better support them to (1) Be Successful in their jobs (2) Contribute to the success of their work groups and (3) Assimilate into the culture of the department and organization.
This guide helps work groups create an orientation that will:
- Make new staff members feel welcome and less anxious
- Develop positive perceptions of Johns Hopkins Medicine (JHM) and the department
- Understand how role fits in with JHM and the department
- Establish healthy working relationships with teams and managers
- Create a bond between new staff members and JHM
- Ensure understanding of the structure, culture, policies, and procedures and practices of JHM and the department
- Instill a sense of Accountability to self, department, and JHM
- Evaluate skills and and behavior competencies to be successful
- Cultivate pride in working at JHM
- Nurture employees in their 1st year of employment.
"It's easy to leave a workplace where no one will miss you. People stay at jobs because they can't bear leaving their colleagues."
Beverly Kaye, Love 'Em or Lose 'EM