- Once an applicant has accepted an offer, the applicant will be contacted by a Career Services Specialist to schedule a pre-employment processing appointment.
- During the pre-employment processing appointment, the applicant will complete an I-9 form and all new hire paperwork. The new hire is given an orientation packet which includes information on their employment location, hours, parking, ID badge card and tax forms. The new hire will then proceed to the Office of Occupational Health.
- At the Occupational Health Office, the applicant will:
- Complete a medical history questionnaire
- Discuss past medical history as needed
- Have a TB test done (a chest X-ray will be performed if TB test has been positive in the past)
- Provide specimen for toxicology/drug testing
- Receive an appointment for pre-employment physical
- Be advised when to return for test results
- The applicant returns to Occupational Health normally two to three days later for test results and a physical:
- If pending, Occupational Health gives applicant their phone number and advises applicant to call daily to check if test results have come in
- If failed, Occupational Health informs applicant and Career Services, who informs the department, updates Position Manager, and retrieves the hiring requisition for the future use for another applicant
- If cleared, Occupational Health clears the applicant in orchid or gives the applicant a clearance slip and sends the applicant back to Career Services
- The Career Services Assistant sends the new hire’s folder to Organization Development and Training for [orientation].
- When the new hire attends orientation, the pre-employment process is complete.
A two-day JHHS/JHH JCAHO-required orientation assists new employees in adjusting to their new environment and in learning about their new employer. For more information, call 410-955-6748.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I wear?
Business attire (uniforms are not necessary)
- When do I arrive?
Orientation begins at 8 a.m. each day. Please arrive at 7:30 a.m. Orientation ends at 4:30 p.m. You will need to report to Phipps 340.
- Where do I park?
The Orleans Street Garage is the best place for you to park for orientation. We will pay for your parking for one day of Orientation only. You will have an opportunity to sign up for parking.
- What do I bring?
Bring your completed federal and state income tax form and map.
To obtain a parking permit, you will need to know your automobile license plate number, manufacturer, and model of your car. Parking ranges from $55 to $115 per month. Payment methods accepted are check or cash. Payroll deduction is available after initial payment.
A pen, picture I.D. and checkbook, if you would like to sign up for parking on Day One.
License (if applicable): On the day you report to orientation, you must have a current Professional Maryland License. You will not be able to start unless your license has been presented to the Career Services representative prior to reporting for the first day of orientation.
- What happens on Orientation Day?
During the two-day session, you will become acquainted with The Johns Hopkins Health System and Hospital, your benefits, rights and responsibilities as an employee. A continental breakfast will be provided on Day One of orientation. Lunch will be on your own. If you have any problems or questions regarding your Pre-Employment processing, please call Career Services at 410-955-6575. If you have any questions, problems or special needs regarding orientation, please call 410-614-5452.