I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Oncology and Interventional Oncology
The Johns Hopkins interventional radiology physicians play a critical role as part of the Cancer Center team. Ours is a rapidly evolving field where innovative techniques for both diagnosing and treating cancer are now available resulting in prolonged quality survival for patients with cancer.
- Paracentesis or Thoracentesis
- PICC line placement
- Tunneled catheter placement
- Port catheter placement
- Percutaneous biliary drainage
- Percutaneous nephrostomy
- Pleurx catheter placement
- Stenting of malignant strictures: bile duct, esophageal, tracheobronchial and intestinal
- Portal vein embolization
Interventional oncology, practiced by interventional radiologists, is one of four parts of a multidisciplinary team approach in the treatment of cancer and cancer related disorders. The others include medical oncology, surgical oncology and radiation oncology.
Interventional oncology procedures provide minimally invasive, targeted treatment of cancer. Image guidance is used in combination with the most current innovations available to treat cancerous tumors while minimizing possible injury to other body organs. Most patients having these procedures are outpatients or require a one night stay in the hospital.
- Some of these therapies are regional, as when treating cancers involving several areas of the liver with chemoembolization or radioembolization.
- Others are better classified as local, as when treating focal lesions in the kidney, liver, lung and bone with cryoablation (freezing), or microwave or radiofrequency ablation (heating).
In general, these techniques are reserved for patients whose cancer cannot be surgically removed or effectively treated with systemic chemotherapy. These procedures are also frequently used in combination with other therapies provided by other members of the cancer team.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.