It is the policy of the Organization that applications for the conduct of human subject research shall be assigned to an IRB for review. Procedures for assignment are governed by written review agreements, contractual terms, or internal guidelines issued by the IO. The possible assignments to an IRB are as follows:
- One of the five JHM IRBs in Baltimore
- Bloomberg School of Public Health IRB
- MedStar Research Institute
- NCI CIRB and NCI Pediatric CIRB
- National Institute on Aging (NIA) IRB
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) IRB
Written review agreements determine assignment to BSPH, MedStar Research Institute, the two NCI CIRBs, NIA, and NIDA.
Assignment information will be made available to researchers on the IRB website. Updates to assignment information shall be made by the IO and provided to researchers as needed.
Once assigned to an IRB, that IRB will continue to review the protocol unless the protocol is transferred (see Policy 103.14 “Transfer of Protocol Among JHM IRBs” ) or an emergency arises.