Johns Hopkins has found ways to make it easier for teams to perform at top levels in VTE prevention. Some of the key elements of a successful effort include:
- Using a systematic approach
- Identifying patient VTE risk factors during admission
- Identifying patient contraindications to pharmacologic prophylaxis during admission.
- Ordering risk-appropriate VTE prophylaxis
- Reassessing VTE risk status and contraindications during hospitalization
- Measuring performance for continuous improvement