Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
About the Center
The Center for Infection and Inflammation Imaging Research is an interdisciplinary center with broad goals mainly focusing on the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of infectious and inflammatory processes. This center draws upon expertise throughout Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, including Infectious Diseases investigators in Pediatrics and Medicine, Radiology, Oncology and collaborators at the Center for Imaging Science who help with the development of advanced imaging tools. Infectious Diseases and Radiology currently have significant ongoing collaborations that focus on developing novel methods for directly imaging Mycobacterium tuberculosis, inflammation associated with TB and monitoring their response to treatment. These initial collaborations have led to the award of several grants and publications. Although this center will primarily have a preclinical focus, due mainly to extensive yet evolving infrastructure for small animal imaging, clinical infection and inflammation imaging studies will also be conducted in the future.
In conjunction with the BRB Molecular Imaging Center, the Center for Infection and Inflammation Imaging Research is also a core Molecular Imaging facility and provides state-of-the art small animal imaging equipment, including PET, SPECT, CT and US, to support the wide range of scientific projects within the diverse research community of the Johns Hopkins University and beyond.
Sanjay K Jain, MD
Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics
William R Bishai, MD, PhD
Professor, Department of Medicine
Martin G Pomper, MD, PhD
Professor, Department of Radiology
Edward A Weinstein, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor (Adjunct), Department of Medicine
Catherine Foss, PhD
Instructor, Department of Radiology
Supriya Pokkali, PhD
Department of Pediatrics
Alvaro Ordonez, MD
Department of Pediatrics
Alvin Kalinda, PhD
Department of Pediatrics
Collaborators at Center for Imaging Science
Bruno Jedynak, PhD
Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics
- Salazar-Austin N, Ordonez AA, Hsu A, Benson JE, Mahesh M, Menachery E, Razeq JH, Salfinger M, Starke JR, Milstone AM, Parrish N, Nuermberger EL, Jain SK. Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis in a Young Child after Travel to India. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:1485-91
- DeMarco VP, Ordonez AA, Klunk M, Prideaux B, Wang H, Zhuo Z, Tonge PJ, Dannals RF, Holt DP, Lee CK, Weinstein EA, Dartois V, Dooley KE, Jain SK. Determination of 11C-Rifampin Pharmacokinetics within Mycobacterium tuberculosis-Infected Mice Using Dynamic Positron Emission Tomography Bioimaging. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015 Sep;59(9):5768-74.
- Rajeshkumar NV, Dutta P, Yabuuchi S, de Wilde RF, Matrinez GV, Le A, Kamphorst JJ, Rabinowitz JD, Jain SK, Hidalgo M, Dang CV, Gillies RJ, Maitra AM. Therapeutic targeting of the Warburg effect in pancreatic cancer relies on an absence of p53 function. Cancer Res. 2015 Aug 15;75(16):3355-64.
- Xu Z, Bagci U, Mansoor A, Marek GK, Luna B, Kubler A, Dey B, Foster B, Papadakis GZ, Camp JV, Jonsson CB, Bishai WR, Jain S, Udupa JK, Mollura DJ. Computer-aided pulmonary image analysis in small animal models. Med Phys. 2015 Jul;42(7):3896.
- Ordonez AA, DeMarco VP, Klunk MH, Pokkali S, Jain SK. Imaging Chronic Tuberculous Lesions using Sodium [18F]Fluoride Positron Emission Tomography in Mice. Mol Imaging Biol. 2015 Mar 7. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ordonez AA, Pokkali S, DeMarco VP, Klunk M, Mease RC, Foss CA, Pomper MG, Jain SK. Radioiodo-DPA-713 Imaging Correlates with Bactericidal Activity of Tuberculosis Treatments in Mice. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015 Jan;59(1):642-9. doi: 10.1128/AAC.04180-14. Epub 2014 Nov 17.
- Weinstein EA, Ordonez AA, DeMarco VP, Murawski AM, Pokkali S, MacDonald EM, Klunk M, Mease RC, Pomper MG, Jain SK. Imaging Enterobacteriaceae infection in vivo with 18F-fluorodeoxysorbitol positron emission tomography. Sci Transl Med. 2014 Oct 22; 6(259):259ra146. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3009815. [Cover article].
- Dutta NK, Illei PB, Jain SK, Karakousis PC. Characterization of a novel necrotic granuloma model of latent tuberculosis infection and reactivation in mice. Am J Pathol. 2014 Jul;184(7):2045-55.
- Murawski AM, Gurbani S, Harper JS, Younes L, Jain SK*, Jedynak B. Imaging the Evolution of Reactivation Pulmonary Tuberculosis in Mice Using 18F-FDG PET. J Nucl Med. 2014 Oct;55(10):1726-9. doi: 10.2967/jnumed.114.144634. Epub 2014 Jul 31.
- Luna B, Kubler A, Larsson C, Foster B, Bagci U, Mollura DJ, Jain S, Bishai WR. In vivo Prediction of Tuberculosis Cavity Formation in Rabbits. J Infect Dis. 2014 Aug 12. pii: jiu449. [Epub ahead of print].
- Kübler A, Luna B, Larsson C, Ammerman NC, Andrade BB, Orandle M, Bock KW, Xu Z, Bagci U, Molura DJ, Marshall J, Burns J, Winglee K, Ahidjo BA, Cheung LS, Klunk M, Jain SK, Kumar NP, Babu S, Sher A, Friedland JS, Elkington PT, Bishai WR. Mycobacterium tuberculosis dysregulates MMP/TIMP balance to drive rapid cavitation and unrestrained bacterial proliferation. J Pathol. 2014 Sep 4. doi: 10.1002/path.4432. [Epub ahead of print]
- Foster B, Bagci U, Zu Z, Dey B, Luna B, Bishai W, Jain S, Mollura DJ. Segmentation of PET images for Computer-aided functional quantification of Tuberculosis in Small Animal Models. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014 Mar;61(3):711-24. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2013.2288258. Epub 2013 Nov 5. [Cover article].
- Xu Z, Bagci U, Kubler A, Luna B, Jain S, Bishai WR, Mollura, DJ. Computer‐Aided Detection and Quantification of Cavitary Tuberculosis from CT Scans. Med. Phys. 2013 40, 113701.
- Foss CA, Harper JS, Wang H, Pomper MG, Jain SK. Non-Invasive Molecular Imaging of Tuberculosis-Associated Inflammation with Radioiodinated DPA-713. J Infect Dis. 2013 Aug 20. [Epub ahead of print] [Cover article].
- Bagci U, Foster B, Miller-Jaster K, Luna B, Dey B, Bishai WR, Jonsson CB, Jain S, Mollura DJ. A computational pipeline for quantification of pulmonary infections in small animal models using serial PET-CT imaging. EJNMMI Res. 2013 Jul 23;3(1):55.
- Foster B, Bagci U, Xu Z, Dey B, Luna B, Bishai W, Jain S, Mollura D. Affinity propagation clustering determines distributed uptake regions in PET images: A computer-aided approach for quantification of pulmonary infections in small animals. J Nucl Med. 2013; 54 (Supplement 2):313.
- Weinstein EA, Liu L, Ordonez AA, Wang H, Hooker JM, Tonge PJ, Jain SK. Noninvasive Determination of 2-[18F]-Fluoroisonicotinicacid hydrazide Pharmacokinetics by Positron Emission Tomography in Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infected Mice. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Sep 24.
- Skerry C, Harper J, Weir M, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Adjunctive TNF inhibition with standard treatment enhances bacterial clearance in a murine model of necrotic TB granulomas. PLoS ONE 7(6): e39680.
- Everton KL, Mazal J, Mollura DJ, for RAD-AID Conference Writing Group*. White Paper Report of the 2011 RAD-AID Conference on International Radiology for Developing Countries: Integrating Multidisciplinary Strategies for Imaging Services in the Developing World. J Am Coll Radiol 2012;9:488-494.
- Be NA, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Role of Mycobacterium tuberculosis pknD in the Pathogenesis of Central Nervous System Tuberculosis. BMC Microbiol. 2012, 12:7. Highly accessed.
- Harper J, Skerry C, Davis SL, Tasneen R, Weir W, Kramnik I, Bishai WR, Pomper MG, Nuermberger EL, Jain SK. Mouse model of necrotic TB granulomas develops hypoxic lesions. J Infect Dis. 2012 Feb;205(4):595-602. Epub 2011 Dec 23.
- Vidal C, Beggs D, Younes L, Jain SK, Jedynak B. Incorporating user input in template-based segmentation. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Images 2011.
- Davis SL, Nuermberger EL, Um P, Vidal C, Jedynak B, Pomper MG, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Monitoring response to TB drug treatment using [18F]-2-fluoro-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009 Nov;53(11):4879-84.
- Davis SL, Be NA, Lamichhane G, Nimmagadda S, Pomper MG, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Bacterial thymidine kinase as a non-invasive imaging reporter for Mycobacterium tuberculosis in live animals. PLoS ONE 2009 4(7): e6297.
- Vidal C, Hewitt J, Davis S, Younes L, Jain S, Jedynak B. Template Registration with missing parts: Application to the Segmentation of Tuberculosis infected lungs. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Images 2009:718-721.
- Jain SK, Lamichhane G, Nimmagadda S, Pomper M, Bishai WR. Antibiotic Treatment of Tuberculosis: Old Problems, New Solutions. Microbe 2008 Jun; 3(6): 285-92.
The Center for Infection and Inflammation Imaging Research is located within the vivarium of the Cancer Research Building-II. Please contact us at 410-614-9051 or 410-614-3051.