Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Johns Hopkins Ambulatory Tropical Medicine - Consultation Service
Suspect an illness from your travels?
- Call your primary care provider to discuss your illness.
- Request that your primary care provider contact the Tropical Medicine Ambulatory Consultation Service to discuss the need for a referral for diagnosis and treatment.
- Who should your provider contact?
- Shone Sterner, Clinical Program Coordinator: 410-955-8931
Why do you need a referral?
- Your primary care provider is, among other things, the coordinator of your overall health care. Everyone should have a primary care provider — a physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
- If non-infectious, non-tropical disease or non-travel related illnesses are discovered, you may need to have ongoing management of these conditions. For this reason, even if your insurance will allow a visit without a referral, we will only schedule a visit with a referral from your primary care provider.
- The Tropical Medicine Ambulatory Consultation Service does not employ primary care providers but rather a team of experienced tropical medicine experts.
Check with your insurance provider to see if this service is covered.
Referring providers my print a consultation request form from this this page. Please contact our office for additional information or questions.
Tropical Medicine Ambulatory Consultation Service Faculty & Staff
Director, Geographic Medicine Center of the Division of Infectious Diseases
Associate Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases)
Instructor in Medicine (Infectious Diseases)
Clinical Program Coordinator
Telephone: (410) 955-8931
Fax: (410) 614-2301