Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Employee Appreciation Programs
JHHSC/JHH offers a variety of programs, annual events and awards that serve to recognize and reward employees for their hard work, years of service, innovation, creativity, customer satisfaction and commitment to excellence.
Each year, JHHSC/JHH hosts a variety of events during Employee Appreciation Week to thank employees for their dedication to the workplace and for delivering quality care to our customers. An annual awards ceremony recognizes employees who have reached important service markers at JHHSC/JHH (e.g., 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 years).
At the same ceremony, Baker-King Awards and the Edward A. Halle Prize for Excellence in Patient Service are presented to employees who have demonstrated service excellence. The HR Presidential Leadership Award is also presented to a top manager or administrator.
Other appreciation events, which may change from year to year, have included a health fair, courtyard activities with refreshments, talent shows, giveaways, raffles and a dinner honoring employees with 30, 40 and 40-plus years of service. These activities are scheduled at a variety of times so that employees on all shifts can participate.
Employee Appreciation Awards
The Baker-King Award was created in 1962 by Dr. and Mrs. Theodore King, who recognized the significant contributions of all Hospital employees. Mrs. King, whose maiden name was Baker, believed it was important to acknowledge non-supervisory staff. Baker-King honorees are nominated by their managers and supervisors. The Baker-King Foundation established a fund to recognize employees in any non-exempt position within JHHSC/JHH. The awards are presented during the annual JHHSC/JHH Employee Appreciation Week to employees who have been truly outstanding in the performance of their duties, and who have thus set an example for all. Each recipient receives a $100 U.S. Savings Bond, a Baker-King pin, and a certificate signed by JHHSC/JHH leadership.
- Julie Beck, Senior Mammography Technologist, Radiology Breast Imaging
- Zina Brown, Organizational Equity Intake Coordinator, Legal Services
- Tyrone Cheeseboro, Food Service Worker, Nutrition
- Danielle Darby, Patient Services Coordinator, Comprehensive Transplant Center
- Sara Garza, Front Desk Associate, Patient and Family Services and Social Work
- Otis Grazier, Security Ambassador, Corporate Security
- Wayne Krause, Faculty Maintenance Technician, Johns Hopkins at Green Spring Station
- Charvette Waters, Senior Patient Access Specialist, Gynecology and Obstetrics Access Center
- Dianna Wolf, Medical Office Assistant, Johns Hopkins Community Physicians at Odenton
- Linda Wright, Lab Tech, Phlebotomy
The annual Edward A. Halle Prize for Excellence in Patient Service honors an employee who exemplifies extraordinary human compassion and outstanding patient service. The award was established in 1993 in honor of the late Edward Halle, who provided excellent service during his Hopkins career. The recipient of the award is selected based on complimentary letters sent by patients throughout the year and receives a certificate signed by JHHSC/JHH leadership and a $500 check. The prize is announced during the annual JHHSC/JHH Employee Appreciation Week.
- 2016 Recipient - Razak “Zak” Abudu, Oncology Nurse Clinician II, M-PACE
The HR Presidential Leadership Award was founded in 2005. This award is the highest individual honor presented to a top manager or administrator who has demonstrated outstanding performance by creating, managing and improving an environment of excellence for their employees. Candidates for this award are managers who have scores on the Gallup Employee Engagement survey that equal or exceed the 75th percentile. The Award Committee makes their final selection based on completed nomination forms for the candidates who meet this criteria. The recipient of the award receives a certificate signed by JHHSC/JHH leadership, a $500 check and a $1,000 check to use for his/her staff and unit.
- Lakiesha Brown, Site Manager, Johns Hopkins Imaging at Green Spring Station
- Robert De Jong, Technical Manager for Ultrasound, Radiology
- Teresa Fernandez, Revenue Cycle Manager, Patient Financial Services
- Lynn Jones, Assistant Director, Central Nursing Program
- Joseph Kaszak, Technical Support Manager, IT@JH Engineering Services
- John O’Neill, ERP Manager, IT@JH Enterprise Business Solutions