Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Anyone requiring the use of Respiratory Protection must be trained annually in accordance with OSHA’s Respiratory Protection Standard (29 CFR 1910.134).
Complete your annual Respiratory Protection training via myLearning. In addition, please watch the attached videos.
If you have taken the Required Annual Education Topics for Clinicians, you have met the annual training requirement for respiratory protection and use of the PAPR.
Anyone who may encounter patients under airborne isolation but do not frequently have direct contact should rely on PAPRs for respiratory protection.
If you use a Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) for respiratory protection, please complete the above training and watch the PAPR training video.
Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR)
- 99.97% Filter Efficiency
- User friendly
- One size fits all
- No fit-test required
- Accommodates people with facial anomalies and men with facial hair
- Built in splash protection
- Must decontaminate between uses
- Noise from motor can inhibit communication
- Less patient friendly, possibly intimidating
- Requires maintenance and proper storage to ensure correct performance
Anyone who regularly has direct contact with patients under airborne isolation should be fit-tested for an N95 respirator.
Wearing an N95 for respiratory protection requires annual fit-testing to ensure the N95 respirator is forming an adequate seal with your face.
Check when you or your unit was last fit-tested using the Fit-Test Department Report tool.
You can order N95s from central stores (5-8357) using the following SAP numbers:
N95s come in boxes of 20 and should be stored in a place that is cool, dry, accessible, and known by staff.
- N95 3M 1860 (small) – 4743
- N95 3M 1860 (regular) – 4725
- N95 3M 1870+ (one size) – 174570
- N95 3M 1870 (one size)* – 75927
*Anyone who was previously fit tested with an 1870 respirator can continue to use them until their next scheduled fit test. 1870’s are in stock until 5/1/2016, after which they will be completely phased out in favor of the 1870+.
- 95% filter efficiency
- Quick to don and doff
- No maintenance required
- No decontamination required (disposable)
- Requires annual fit-testing
- Places added physiological stress on user
- Prone to user-error, user must select proper respirator and properly don
- Requires men to be clean shaven
- Requires additional fit-test when changes occur to employees physical condition: facial scarring, dental changes, cosmetic surgery, pregnancy, obvious change in body weight, etc.
Train The Trainer
If you would like to become a fit-test champion and conduct fit-testing for your unit or in case of epidemic, please sign up for Respiratory Protection - Train the Trainer (Instructor Led).
Champions - Please forward the completed Fit-Test Evaluation Forms to the Respiratory Protection Program Manager.