Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
A Team of Specialists
Cancer conferences are meetings where specialists from various areas of expertise discuss selected cancer patients. This provides a consultative service to the physician(s) treating the patient with input regarding further diagnostic work-up, staging, treatment and follow-up options. Radiology films and pathology slides for each case are also reviewed. Representatives from surgery, pathology, medical oncology, diagnostic and radiation oncology attend. The meetings are open to any health care professional that is involved in caring for our cancer patients, and often also include plastic surgeons, physician assistants, acupuncturists, mental health care professionals, nurses, patient and nurse navigators, cancer registrars and genetic counselors.
At Howard County General Hospital, we have three different cancer conferences:
- Breast Conference, which meets every Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. At this conference, we discuss nearly 100 percent of our newly diagnosed breast cancer cases.
- General Cancer Conference, which is held the 2ndand 4th Friday of each month at 12:15 p.m. For this conference, the cases are selected by the physicians based on the desire to review specific findings, or to obtain input from other specialists regarding treatment options. A minimum of 10 percent of all newly diagnosed cases seen at Howard County General Hospital are discussed at this conference annually.
- The Thoracic Cancer Conference is held the third Friday of each month at 7:30 a.m. and includes participation by pulmonologists and thoracic surgeons.
Our goal is to provide the patient and his/her primary care physician with the best and most appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic options for the particular type and stage of disease. The cancer conferences can also serve as a second opinion for the patient.
Your treatment will be less stressful and more convenient because most of the specialists and professionals you may need to consult are available right on HCGH’s campus:
- Primary Care Physician
- General Surgeon or Surgical Oncologist
- Plastic Surgeon
- Medical Oncologist
- Radiation Oncologist
- Physical Therapist
- Lymphedema Therapist
- Mental Health Professional
- Community Support Groups
- American Cancer Society Programs
- Claudia Mayer / Tina Broccolino Cancer Resource Center
- Complementary Medicine Practitioners