I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Groundbreaking Ceremony for Howard County General Hospital’s Expansion
For immediate release.
Contact: Sharon Sopp
Photo (left to right): Mike Miller, Project Manager, HCGH; Beth Plavner, Special Projects Coordinator, HCGH; Jay Blackman, Sr. Vice President/COO, HCGH; Shane Pendergrass, Maryland State Delegate, District 13; Evelyn Bolduc, Chair, Howard Hospital Foundation Board of Trustees; Dr. Richard Krieg, President/CEO, The Horizon Foundation; Alicia Slahetka, President, HCGH Volunteer Auxiliary; W. Brian McGowan, Chair, HCGH Board of Trustees, Member, Howard Hospital Foundation Board of Trustees and Johns Hopkins Medicine Board of Trustees; Victor A. Broccolino, President/CEO, HCGH; Ken Ulman, Howard County Executive; Dr. Edward Miller, Dean/CEO, Johns Hopkins Medicine; Ronald Peterson, President, The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Executive Vice President, Johns Hopkins Health System; Michael E. Silverman, M.D., President, HCGH Professional Staff; Ann Mech, Secretary, HCGH Board of Trustees; Beverly White-Seals, Member, HCGH Board of Trustees and Member, Johns Hopkins Medicine Board of Trustees; Chip Lundy, Vice-Chair, HCGH Board of Trustees and Member, Howard Hospital Foundation Board of Trustees and Johns Hopkins Medicine Board of Trustees; Steve Thompson, Sr. Vice President, Johns Hopkins Medicine
September 24, 2007 -- The groundbreaking ceremony held at Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine (HCGH) marked the official beginning of construction for the hospital’s Campus Development Plan. The largest in HCGH history, the plan includes a 233,656 square-foot expansion and renovation project that will allow the hospital to keep pace with advances in global healthcare technology, with national patient safety requirements, and with the future healthcare needs of its expanding and aging community.
The project combines the most advanced medical facilities and technology to promote healing and improve results for the hospital’s patients, with:
- a new five-level pavilion with three new inpatient units with all private rooms
- the conversion of all current patient rooms to private
- a ground-level centralized outpatient rehabilitation center to provide easy access to services
- a dedicated critical care floor for the efficient, coordinated care of the hospital’s sickest patients
- a state-of-the art surgery area to increase HCGH’s surgical capacity
- larger laboratory and pharmacy facilities designed to maximize safety and efficiency
- enhanced space for IT to support new information and clinical data systems
- a new lobby and 550-car parking garage to make visiting HCGH more comfortable and convenient for patients and visitors.
Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine is a 219-bed, not-for-profit, health care provider located in Columbia, Maryland. Serving the community since 1973, the hospital, with a professional staff of more than 800 physicians and allied health professionals representing over 70 medical specialties and sub-specialties and a workforce of more than 1,700, has grown into a comprehensive, acute-care medical center that treats a full range of conditions from neonatal care to oncology and outpatient care to critical care.