Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Contact: Sharon Sopp, 410.740.7646, email@example.com
COLUMBIA, MD - Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine (HCGH) today received numerous top recognitions from HealthGrades, a national leading independent healthcare ratings organization, most notably ranking in the top five percent in the nation for Pulmonary and Critical Care and as one of the top five hospitals in Maryland for gastrointestinal surgery and overall critical care. Additionally, HCGH received Excellence Awards for pulmonary care and critical care; and five-star ratings in cardiac care, pulmonary care, gastrointestinal care and critical care. These recognitions are based on HealthGrades’ 13th annual Hospital Quality in America study, released today, which analyzes patient outcomes at virtually all of the nation’s hospitals.
“The excellent care for which we are being recognized is the direct result of the skill, expertise and commitment of the entire hospital team, beginning with our physicians and nurses, all assisted by support staff, both clinical and non-clinical, and our wonderful volunteers and auxilians, who work tirelessly to provide quality care to our patients and to implement patient safety initiatives,” said Victor A. Broccolino, president and CEO of HCGH. “This award is a testament to their dedication and passion to improve our processes in order to provide ever better care to our patients.”
Howard County General Hospital has a long history of excellence. Earlier this year, the hospital received the HealthGrades 2010 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ for the third consecutive year. The award, bestowed upon the top five percent of hospitals in the nation, recognizes superior clinical quality across a range of the most common conditions for hospitalized patients.
The awards recognize the effectiveness of several quality initiatives the hospital has implemented, including:
- Critical Care
- Intensive care physicians in the hospital 24 hours a day.
- Creation of a critical care floor in the new hospital pavilion that provides a single-floor continuum of care for critically ill patients who move through the units as their level of care needs change during recovery.
- Cardiac Care
- Participate in Maryland Health Care Commission: Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Program Certification.
- Gastrointestinal Care/Surgery
- Increased focus on compliance with National Surgical Care Improvement Project recommendations.
- Pulmonary Care
- Changed distribution strategy for flu and pneumococcal vaccinations. Patient now receive the vaccines earlier in the hospitalization.
- Emergency Department patients with pneumonia received antibiotics in a timely manner.
HealthGrades distinctions received by HCGH in recent years include:
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Heart Attack For 2 Years in a Row (2010-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Heart Failure For 4 Years in a Row (2008-2011)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services For 4 Years in a Row (2008-2011); Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services For 8 Years in a Row (2004-2011)
- Ranked Among the Top 10 in State for Overall Pulmonary Services For 4 Years in a Row (2008-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for Overall Pulmonary Services For 8 Years in a Row (2004-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease For 4 Years in a Row (2008-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Pneumonia For 9 Years in a Row (2003-2011)
- Ranked Among the Top 5 in State for GI Surgery For 2 Years in a Row (2010-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for GI Surgery For 2 Years in a Row (2010-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for GI Procedures and Surgeries For 3 Years in a Row (2009-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of GI Bleed For 2 Years in a Row (2010-2011)
- Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Critical Care For 3 Years in a Row (2009-2011); Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Critical Care For 4 Years in a Row (2008-2011)
- Ranked Among the Top 5 in State for Critical Care For 4 Years in a Row (2008-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for Overall Critical Care For 4 Years in a Row (2008-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Sepsis For 7 Years in a Row (2005-2011)
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Respiratory Failure For 7 Years in a Row (2005-2011)
The Thirteenth Annual HealthGrades Hospital Quality in America study, the largest annual report of its kind, analyzed patient outcomes from nearly 40 million Medicare hospitalization records over a three-year period.
“The physicians of HCGH are proud to work hand-in-hand with the hospital staff and leadership to achieve excellence in patient care,” said Jonathan S. Fish, M.D., president of the HCGH Professional Staff. “This national recognition is a wonderful tribute to the quality partnerships we have created to provide the best care possible to our community."
Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine since 1998 is a 238-bed, not-for-profit, health care provider located in Columbia, Maryland. Serving the community since 1973, the hospital has a professional staff of over 800 physicians and allied health professionals, representing 78 specialties and subspecialties; a workforce of nearly 2,000individuals and volunteer auxilians numbering over 600. Over the past three decades, the hospital has grown into a comprehensive, acute-care medical center that offers a full range of services, from neonatal care and oncology to outpatient treatment and critical care.