|Campus Map||Directions||Phone Directory|
Welcome to Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine. Howard County General Hospital has been serving our community for nearly 40 years. Our mission, "Provide the highest quality care to improve the health of our entire community through innovation, collaboration, service excellence, diversity and a commitment to patient safety" is carried through in all that we do.
When the Columbia Hospital and Clinics Foundation was founded in 1973, it was conceived as simply a 59-bed, short-stay facility for members of the Columbia Medical Plan. However, in response to the immediate demand for services and rapid rate of growth in the County, the hospital was incorporated the following year as Howard County General Hospital, an independent not-for-profit hospital with a mission to provide high-quality, comprehensive care and, in the process, improve the health of its community. In 1998, the hospital entered into a strategic partnership with Johns Hopkins Medicine, thereby augmenting the strong, community-focused, integrated delivery system already in place with the benefits of a formal connection with a world-renowned academic medical center. The alliance with Hopkins has positioned HCGH to pursue new initiatives that will provide improved services, facilities, and medical technology to the residents of Howard County.
Today, Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine is a comprehensive, acute-care medical center with 253 licensed beds specializing in women`s and children`s services, surgery, cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, gerontology, psychiatry, emergency services, and community health education.
- HCGH staff includes more than 1,700 full- and part-time employees. It is the fourth largest private employer in Howard County and employs nearly 1,000 Howard County residents. A diverse workforce, 44 percent of hospital staff are minorities, representing 59 different countries.
- The hospital’s professional staff is comprised of nearly 900 physicians and allied health professionals, representing more than 90 specialties and subspecialties. Ninety-three percent of the physicians are board-certified in their specialty.
- Hospital expenditures total approximately $230 million per year, much of which is spent locally for supplies and services. This figure includes salaries and benefits of more than $109 million.
- More than 440 volunteers contributed over 39,000 hours of service in FY 2012, working in all areas of the hospital and the community to support the hospital and its services.
Fiscal Year 2012 Utilization Statistics:
- HCGH provided services to more than 204,000 people.
- Evaluated and treated 77,488 patients in the Emergency Rooms.
- Admitted to or observed in the hospital 22,401 patients.
- Performed 13,358 surgeries; of these, 3,595 were performed in the hospital and 9,763 were performed as outpatient procedures.
- Delivered 3,333 babies.
- Treated 68,253 patients with a wide variety of outpatient services.
- Provided outreach and wellness programs to more than 40,000 people.