I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Home care consists of skilled, intermittent services, equipment, infusion and supplies that are provided to patients after or in lieu of hospitalization.
- Skilled nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, social work, respiratory therapy, home health aides and dieticians for adults and children
- Home infusion therapy including antibiotics, antivirals, hydration, TPN enteral therapy, chemotherapy, biologicals, pain management, blood clotting factor, growth hormone, IVIG, cardiac drugs, heparin therapy and steroids
- Medical and respiratory equipment and clinical services including: oxygen, CPAP and Bi-level, apnea monitoring, ventilators, asthma management, nebulizers and medications, beds, wheelchairs and mobility devices
- Medical supplies including those for diabetes, ostomies, incontinence and wound care
- Outpatient pharmacy at JH Outpatient Center, Weinberg, Moor Clinic, Bayview Medical Center and Howard Medical Pavilion
- Home Health
- Skilled need assessment, teaching and treatments to meet goals of patient self-care related to new diagnoses or changes in the medical plan of treatment
- Home bound status required by Medicare
- Intermittent services are provided in visits and generally for an acute, not chronic, care
- Oxygen -- Medicare coverage requires patient to have specific blood gases and continuous need
- Medical equipment requires a certificate of medical necessity
- Most equipment and all medications require a prescription
- If you are based in one of the JH institutions, call your assigned Home Care Coordinator to assist in development of the patient's plan of care. After business hours and on weekend, or if you do not know how to reach your specific coordinator, call (410) 288-8100 -- JHHCG Central Intake.
- If you are not hospital-based, Central Intake nursing staff will assist you directly. You will be asked for patient demographics including address, phone, insurance, primary diagnosis, orders for care, specific supplies or equipment, if skilled care need - reason for care, and the name, address, and phone number of physician who will be following the patient and responsible for ongoing care.