Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Treatment and prevention of venous thromboembolism, Management of anticoagulation, Management of hemophilia and other coagulation disorders
Dr. Streiff’s major clinical research interest involves the prevention and treatment of venous thromboembolism. He has written several comprehensive reviews on vena caval filters and the management of venous thromboembolism in cancer patients. He chairs the Venous Thromboembolism Guideline Committee for the National Comprehensive Cancer Center Network and has served on international consensus panels to develop standardized guidelines for the use of vena caval filters in the management of venous thromboembolism. As a member of a Johns Hopkins Evidence-Based Practice Center panel, he participated in the development of evidence reports on the management of venous thromboembolism. His research on patients with malignant gliomas identified ABO blood group as a novel risk factor for VTE in this population. A multicenter clinical trial is now nearing completion to confirm these results and identify plasma markers of increased risk for venous thromboembolism in glioma patients. As Medical Director of the Anticoagulation Management Service and Outpatient Clinics, he and his colleagues from the Department of Pharmacy have been actively involved in developing policies and procedures for standardizing anticoagulation management and guidelines for VTE prevention at The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. As the consulting Hematologist for the Johns Hopkins Comprehensive Hemophilia Treatment Center, he is actively involved in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with hemophilia, von Willebrand disease and other hemostatic disorders.
|1979-83||B.S., Biology, Washington and Lee University,|
|1983-84||Fulbright Scholar, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany|
|1984-88||M.D., Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland|
|1988-91||Internship and Residency in Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida|
|1991-97||Post-doctoral Fellow, Hematology/Oncology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland|
|1997-2000||Instructor in Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland|
|2000-present||Assistant Professor in Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland|
- Streiff MB. Vena Caval Filters: A Comprehensive Review. Blood 2000; 95(12): 3669-3677.
- Streiff MB, Dundes L, Spivak JL. A mail survey of United States hematologists and oncologists: A comparison of business reply versus stamped return envelopes. J Clin Epidemiol 2001; 54(4): 430-432
- Streiff MB, Ness PM. Acquired factor V inhibitors: a needless iatrogenic complication of bovine thrombin exposure. Transfusion 2002 ;42(1): 18-26.
- Streiff MB, Spivak JL. The diagnosis and management of polycythemia vera in the post-polycythemia vera study group era: A survey of American Society of Hematology (ASH) members’ practice patterns. Blood 2002; 99(4):1144-1149.
- Streiff MB, Mehta S, Thomas DL. Peripheral blood count abnormalities among persons with hepatitis C in the United States. Hepatology 2002; 35(4):947-952
- Streiff MB, Segal J, Grossman SA, Kickler TS, Weir EG. ABO blood group is a potent risk factor for venous thromboembolism in patients with malignant gliomas. Cancer 2004; 100(8):1717-1723
- Kim HS, Patra A, Khan J, Arepally A, Streiff MB. Transhepatic Catheter-directed Thrombectomy and Thrombolysis of Acute Superior Mesenteric Venous Thrombosis. J Vasc Intervent Radiol 2005 16(12):1685-91
- Hann CL, Streiff MB. The role vena caval filters in the management of venous thromboembolism. Blood Rev 2005;19(4):179-202.
- 7. Gerber DE, Grossman SA, Streiff MB. Management of venous thromboembolism in patients with primary and metastatic brain tumors. J Clin Oncol 2006;24(8):1310-1318.
- Streiff MB, Segal JB, Tamariz LJ, Jenckes MW, Bolger DT, Eng J, Krishnan JA, Bass EB. Duration of oral anticoagulation for venous thromboembolism: A systematic review of the literature. Am J Hematol 2006;81(9):684-91.
- Baglin TP, Bush J, Streiff MB. Guidelines on use of Vena Cava Filters. British Committee for Standards in Haematology. Brit J Haematol 2006 134(6):590-5.
- Kim HS, Patra A, Paxton BE, Khan J, Streiff MB. Catheter-Directed Thrombolysis with Percutaneous Rheolytic Thrombectomy vs. Thrombolysis alone in Upper and Lower Extremity DVT. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2006 ;29(6):1003-1007
- Kaufman JA, Kinney TB, Streiff MB, Sing RF, Proctor MC, Becker D, Cipolle M, Comerota AJ, Millward SF, Rogers FB, Sacks D, Venbrux AC. Guidelines for the use of retrievable and convertible vena cava filters: report of the society of interventional radiology consensus conference. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2006 17(3):449-459.
- Gerber DE, Segal JB, Salhotra A, Olivi A, Streiff MB. Venous thromboembolism occurs rarely in post-operative meningioma patients receiving combined modality prophylaxis. Cancer 2007; 109(2):300-305
- Segal JB, Streiff MB, Hoffman LV, Thornton K, Bass EB. Management of venous thromboembolism with low molecular weight heparin, catheter-directed thrombolysis, vena cava filters, compression stockings and oral anticoagulants: a systematic review of the evidence. Ann Intern Med 2007;146(3):211-222.
- Ahonkhai AA, Gebo KA, Streiff MB, Moore RD, Segal JB. Venous Thromboembolism in Patients with HIV/AIDS: A Case-Control Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Jul 1;48(3):310-4.
- Kim HS, Young MJ, Narayan AK, Hong K, Liddell RP, Streiff MB. A Comparison of Clinical Outcomes with Retrievable and Permanent Inferior Vena Cava Filters. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2008; 19:393–399.
- Gerber DE, Segal JB, Levy MY, Kane J, Jones RJ, Streiff MB. The incidence of and risk factors for venous thromboembolism (VTE) and bleeding among 1,514 patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: Implications for VTE prevention. Blood 2008 Aug 1;112(3):504-10.
- Biscup-Horn P, Streiff MB, Ulbrich T, Nesbit TW, Shermock KM. Impact of an Anticoagulation Management Service on Inpatient Clinical and Economic Outcomes. Ann Pharmacother 2008 Jun;42(6):777-82.
- Shermock KM, Connor JT, Lavallee DC and Streiff MB. Clinical decision-making as the basis for assessing agreement between measures of the International Normalized Ratio. J Thromb Haemost 2009 Jan;7(1):87-93.
- Streiff MB, Haut ER. The CMS ruling on venous thromboembolism after total knee or hip arthroplasty: weighing risks and benefits. JAMA. 2009 Mar 11;301(10):1063-5.
- Kaufman JA, Rundback JH, Kee ST, Geerts W, Gillespie D, Kahn SR, Kearon C, Rectenwald J, Rogers FR, Stavropoulos SW, Streiff M, Vedantham S, Venbrux A. Development of a Research Agenda for Inferior Vena Cava Filters: Proceedings from a Multidisciplinary Research Consensus Panel. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2009; 20:697–707.
- Khorana AA, Streiff MB, Farge D, Mandala M, Debourdeau P, Cajfinger F, Marty M, Falanga A, Lyman GH. Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis and treatment in cancer: a consensus statement of major guidelines panels and call to action.J Clin Oncol. 2009 Aug 31. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 19720907
- Streiff MB.Diagnosis and Initial Treatment of Venous Thromboembolism in Patients With Cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2009 Sep 8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 19738109
- Zhan H, Streiff MB, King KE, Segal JB. Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura at the Johns Hopkins Hospital from 1992 to 2008: Clinical Outcomes and Risk Factors for Relapse. Transfusion 2010 (in Press).