Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
|Director, Sickle Cell Center for Adults at Johns Hopkins|
Assistant Professor of Medicine and Oncology
Sickle cell disease
Dr. Lanzkron’s major clinical research involves the study of sickle cell disease.
Her primary research interest is to understand the barriers to care for adults
with sickle cell disease. In 1998 the FDA approved the use of hydroxyurea to
treat patients with sickle cell disease. This approval was based on a large
clinical trial centered at Hopkins. The use of hydroxyurea was predicted to
decrease hospitalizations and the costs of care for those with sickle cell disease.
Dr. Lanzkron’s research has shown that despite the approval of hydroxyurea,
the costs of caring for patients with sickle cell disease has increased significantly
over the last seven years. Research is ongoing to identify the factors that limit
access to care for this population. The Sickle Cell Center for Adults at Johns Hopkins
under Dr. Lanzkron’s direction provides comprehensive care to adults, including
access to clinical trials. www.sicklecellcenter.org
|1987||B.A., Biology, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA|
M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
|1991 – 94|
Internship and Residency in Medicine, University of Maryland Medical System, Baltimore, MD
|1994 – 97||Fellowship, Hematology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD|
Assistant Professor in Oncology and Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Lanzkron, S.M., Collector, M.I., Sharkis, S.J. Hematopoietic Stem Cell Tracking In Vivo: A Comparison of Short- term and Long- Term Repopulating Cells. Blood 93(6): 1916-1921, 1999
- Lanzkron SM , Collector MI , Sharkis SJ Homing of long-term and short-term engrafting cells in vivo. Ann N Y Acad Sci 872:48-54; discussion 54-6 1999
- Bachier CR, Gokmen E, Teale J, Lanzkron S, Childs C, Franklin W, Shpall E, Douville J, Weber S, Muller T, Armstrong D, Lemaistre CF, Ex- Vivo Expansion of Bone Marrow Progenitor Cells for Hematopoietic Reconstitution Following High Dose Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer. Exp Hem 27(4): 615-623, 1999
- Shaughnessy PJ, Ririe DW, Ornstein DL, Kissack B, Bickford DJ, Molina R, Lanzkron S, Bachier C, Nanez A, LeMaistre CF. Graft failure in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) treated with high-dose immunosuppression and autologous stem cell rescue. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2001 Jan;27(2):221-4.
- Lanzkron, S., Moliterno, A., Norris, E.J., Gould, S., Segal, J., Neurmberger, E., Ness, P. Polymerized Human Hemoglobin use in Acute Chest Syndrome: A Case Report. Transfusion: 2002 Nov;42(11):1422-7
- Laurence B., Woods, D., George, D., Onyekwere, O., Katz, R.V., Lanzkron, S., Diener-West, M, Powe, N. The association between sickle cell disease and dental caries in African-Americans: Special Care in Dentistry (in press)