Erika Werner, M.D., MS
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Dr. Werner came to the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine following completion of her maternal fetal medicine fellowship at Yale University. Dr. Werner completed her undergraduate degree and a Masters of Science in environmental engineering at the University of Virginia. She worked as a health care consultant before beginning medical school at the Medical College of Virginia. Dr. Werner has won numerous teaching awards and sees patients both with the resident physicians and independently. Her research interests include cost-effectiveness and outcomes research. Currently her projects and funding focus on the complications of obesity including cesarean delivery, gestational diabetes and abnormal fetal growth. She is a recipient of multiple awards, including the prestigious March of Dimes Award for the Best Research in Prematurity and an ACOG Fellowship Award.
1. Antenatal lamivudine to reduce perinatal hepatitis B transmission: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Nayeri UA, Werner EF, Han CS, Pettker CM, Funai EF, Thung SF.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Sep;207(3):231.e1-7. Epub 2012 Jun 11.
2. Mode of Delivery and Neonatal Outcomes in Preterm, Small-for-Gestational-Age Newborns. Werner EF, Savitz DA, Janevic TM, Ehsanipoor RM, Thung SF, Funai EF, Lipkind HS. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Sep;120(3):560-564.
3. Pregestational diabetes with extreme insulin resistance: use of u-500 insulin in pregnancy. Zuckerwise LC, Werner EF, Pettker CM, McMahon-Brown EK, Thung SF, Han CS. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Aug;120(2 Pt 2 Suppl 1):439-42.
4. Evaluating the cost-effectiveness of prenatal surgery for myelomeningocele: a decision analysis. Werner EF, Han CS, Burd I, Lipkind HS, Copel JA, Bahtiyar MO, Thung SF.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Aug;40(2):158-64. doi: 10.1002/uog.11176. Epub 2012 Jul 9.
Werner EF, Pettker CM, Zuckerwise L, Reel M, Funai EF, Henderson J, Thung SF.Diabetes Care. 2012 Mar;35(3):529-35. Epub 2012 Jan 20.
6. Mode of delivery in nulliparous women and neonatal intracranial injury.Werner EF, Janevic TM, Illuzzi J, Funai EF, Savitz DA, Lipkind HS.Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Dec;118(6):1239-46.
Universal cervical-length screening to prevent preterm birth: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Werner EF, Han CS, Pettker CM, Buhimschi CS, Copel JA, Funai EF, Thung SF. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jul;38(1):32-7. doi: 10.1002/uog.8911. Epub 2011 May 24.