Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Any surgery is a stressful situation for both you and your loved ones. As the field of surgery has advanced both technologically and in the skill of expert gynecological surgeons, women facing gynecological surgery have many more options.
While traditional open surgery used to be the approach favored by most surgeons, advances in the field have created better, more effective techniques for treating gynecological conditions.
We are proud to offer the following minimally invasive techniques:
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Laparoscopic removal of benign gynecological tumors
- Laparoscopic removal of malignant gynecological tumors
- Laparoscopic myomectomy (removal of uterine fibroids)
- Laparoscopic repair of pelvic organ prolapse
- Laparoscopic repair of pelvic organ prolapse with uterine preservation
- Laparoscopic excision of endometriosis
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery
The benefits of minimally invasive gynecological surgery are vast and clinically proven through academic medical research. Included in those benefits are:
- Faster recovery
- Less pain
- Smaller incisions
- Early return to normal activities
- Shorter hospital stay
- Decreased risk of infection