|Graduate Student Travel Award Guidelines
The Graduate Student Association of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine has budgeted funds for supplementing student travel to scientific meetings and/or field work. The principal aim of travel awards is to enable students to participate in events otherwise inaccessible due to shortfalls in laboratory or departmental funding. In addition to financial need, applicants must justify the academic merit of their travels, in terms of presentations (poster or talk) at meetings, thesis-related field work, or a thesis-related course. However, applications for travel to non-academic conferences that explore diverse career options are encouraged.
Additional guidelines established for travel awards:
- Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis. Current budget allocations allow the GSA to fund four travel awards per quarter. Be advised that funding can be highly competitive. The dates for 2012-2013 application reviews are: Sept. 1st, Nov. 1st, Feb. 1st, and April 1st.
- Students who have previously received a GSA travel award are not eligible.
- Only Johns Hopkins School of Medicine graduate students are eligible to apply. Homewood graduate students can apply for the GRO travel award
- Award applicants are ranked based on year of study, academic merit, and
financial need. Preference goes to senior students presenting their thesis work, who have not previously attended a meeting, and have pursued other funding mechanisms.
- A maximum limit of $300 applies to each award.
- Applications must be submitted before the meeting/event. To clarify:
o For conferences with start dates of Nov 2nd to Feb. 1st, apply for the Nov 1st cycle
o For conferences with start dates of Feb 2nd to Apr. 1st, apply for the Feb 1st cycle
o For conferences with start dates of April 2nd to July 31st, apply for the April 1st cycle
- Award recipients shall agree to compensate the GSA by assisting at upcoming GSA-sponsored events (e.g., set-up or clean-up). One hour of service is required for each $100 of funding.
- Award recipients must submit an article summarizing their experiences at the meeting to the next GSA Newsletter (Restriction Digest).
- Travel receipts must be submitted along with the appropriate cover letter for reimbursement to the GSA Finance Committee and to Eric Lee at 2-107, 1830 Bldg. Please submit receipts within two weeks of your return. Late travel receipts will not be accepted.
Making a travel award request
- In order to apply for a travel award, please complete the Application for Student Travel Awards.
- A complete application form is essential for processing your request.
- Especially important is the signed letter from your advisor justifying your attendance at the meeting as well as your need for GSA funding.
- The application is also available for downloading on the Restriction Digest, or from a member of the GSA Finance Committee.
- Completed applications should be submitted via e-mail to the GSA Finance Committee, and to the Office of Graduate Student Affairs (1830 Bldg, Room 2-107, 614-3385).
approved: October 14, 1997
revised: June, 16th, 2003
revised: December 17, 2010
revised: April 12, 2013