Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center
The Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center works with patients, caregivers, and family members to treat memory problems and dementia. The Center treats a number of conditions that typically affect memory in older adults, including:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Brain vascular disease (including stroke)
- Frontotemporal dementia
- Lewy body disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Effects from cancer chemotherapy
- Clinical depression
- Other conditions that affect memory and cognition
To learn more about our services, visit the Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center website.
How we diagnose
At the patient’s first visit, we perform a memory diagnostic evaluation to determine the cause of the memory loss and/or other symptoms. This evaluation, which can last up to two hours, utilizes the most innovative tools available, including:
- Clinical assessment
- Memory and cognitive tests
- Specialized 3T MRI with brain imaging
- Brain PET imaging
- Diagnostic blood tests
- Johns Hopkins Dementia Care Needs Assessment
What you can expect
The Center uses a comprehensive model of care called Johns Hopkins Dementia Care. Through this model, nurses and social workers provide the patient and caregivers with medical services and support that includes:
- Education on both the memory disorder and its treatment
- Management of symptoms related to memory loss
- Counseling to help cope with the diagnosis
- Planning and guidance for difficult decisions, such as power of attorney, assisted living, and day programs
Who we are
The Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center is a collaborative partnership between Johns Hopkins psychiatry, neurology, and geriatric medicine. The team includes specially trained physicians, nurses, social workers, and occupational and physical therapists.
To make an appointment
To schedule an appointment at the Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center, please call 410-550-6337.