Studies of Mechanisms that Lead to Fibrogenesis and Cirrhosis and Interventions to Prevent and Reverse Fibrosis
Esteban Mezey, M.D.
This study is examining the mechanisms of liver fibrosis with emphasis on the inhibitory effects of fat-soluble vitamins on fibrosis. The studies are performed in vitro with stellate cells and in vivo in experimental models of liver fibrosis.
- Novitskiy G, Potter, JJ, Rennie-Tankersley L, Mezey E. Identification of a novel NF-κb binding site with regulation of the murine α2 (I) collagen promoter. J Biol Chem 297:15639-15644, 2004.PMID: 14722113.
- Wang L, Potter JJ, Rennie-Tankersley L, Novitskiy G, Sipes G, Mezey E. Effects of retinoic acid on the development of liver fibrosis produced by carbon tetrachloride in mice. Biochim Biophys Acta 1772:66-71,2007. PMID:17011172.
- Kaimori A, Potter JJ, Kaimori J, Wang C, Mezey E, Koteish A. TGF-beta 1 induces an epithelial-to mesenchymal transition state in mouse hepatocytes in-vitro. J Biol Chem 282:22089-22101,2007. PMID:17513865.
- Aram G, Potter JJ, Liu X, Wang L, Torbenson MS, Mezey E. Deficiency of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate reduced from enhances hepatocellular injury but attenuates fibrosis after chronic tetrachloride administration. Hepatology 49: 911-919, 2009. PMID: 19072832.
- Sysa P, Potter JJ, Liu, X, Mezey E. Transforming growth factor-beta1 up-regulation of human α 1(I) collagen is mediated by Sp1 and Smad2 transacting factors. DNA Cell Biol. 28: 425-434, 2009. PMID:19558215.
- Kaimori A, Potter JJ, Choti M, Ding C, Mezey E, Koteish A. Histone deacetylase inhibition suppresses TGF1-induced EMT in hepatocytes. Hepatology 52: 1033-1045,2010. PMID:20564330.
- Chakraborty A, Koldobskiy KA, Bello NT, Maxwell M, Potter JJ , Juluri1 KR, Maag D, Kim S, Huang AS, Dailey MJ, Saleh M1, Snowman AM,.Moran TH, Mezey E. and Snyder SH. Inositol pyrophosphatases inhibit Akt signaling, thereby regulating insulin sensitivity and weight gain. Cell 143: 897-910, 2010.PMID 21145457.
- Potter JJ, Koteish A, Hamilton J, Liu X, Liu K, Agre P, Mezey, E. Effects of acetaldehyde on hepatocyte glycerol uptake and cell size: implication of Aquaporin 9. Alcoholism Clin Exp Res 35:939-945, 2011. PMID 21294757.
- Potter JJ, Liu X Koteish A, Mezey E. 1, 25- dihydroxyvitamin D3 and its nuclear receptor represses human 1(I) collagen expression and type I collagen formation. Liver Int (In press).