Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Phone number: 443-287-5497
Research interests: Neurogastroenterology, regenerative and developmental enteric neurobiology
Clinical interests: Developmental and acquired enteric neuronal insufficiencies and disorders
Schools\degrees: Ph.D., Life Sciences, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
- Post-doctoral research, Structural Biology, Stanford University
- Post-doctoral research, Gastroenterology, Stanford University
- Research Associate, Gastroenterology, Stanford University
Dr. Kulkarni’s research has been focused on the origin and development of the enteric nervous system and understanding the pathways that can be manipulated to create cell and matrix based transplantational and regenerative therapies of enteric neuronal disorders.
- Becker L, Peterson J, Kulkarni S, Pasricha PJ., Ex vivo neurogenesis within enteric ganglia occurs in a PTEN dependent manner. PLoS One 2013 (Accepted)
- Becker L, Kulkarni S, Tiwari G, Micci MA, Pasricha PJ. Divergent fate and origin of neurosphere-like bodies from different layers of the gut. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012 May 1;302(9):G958-6
- Rothenberg ME, Nusse Y, Kalisky T, Lee JJ, Dalerba P, Scheeren F, Lobo N, Kulkarni S, Sim S, Qian D, Beachy PA, Pasricha PJ, Quake SR, Clarke MF. Identification of a cKit(+) colonic crypt base secretory cell that supports Lgr5(+) stem cells in mice. Gastroenterology. 2012 May;142(5):1195-1205.e6
- Kulkarni S, Zou B, Hanson J, Micci MA, Tiwari G, Becker L, Kaiser M, Xie XS, Pasricha PJ. Gut-derived factors promote neurogenesis of CNS-neural stem cells and nudge their differentiation to an enteric-like neuronal phenotype. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011 Oct;301(4):G644-55. doi: 10.1152/ajpgi.00123.2011
- Kulkarni S, Becker L, Pasricha PJ. Stem cell transplantation in neurodegenerative disorders of the gastrointestinal tract: future or fiction? Gut. 2012 Apr;61(4):613-21. doi: 10.1136/gut.2010.235614. Epub 2011 Aug 4. Review.
- Abi-Rached L, Jobin MJ, Kulkarni S, McWhinnie A, Dalva K, Gragert L, Babrzadeh F, Gharizadeh B, Luo M, Plummer FA, Kimani J, Carrington M, Middleton D, Rajalingam R, Beksac M, Marsh SG, Maiers M, Guethlein LA, Tavoularis S, Little AM, Green RE, Norman PJ, Parham P. The shaping of modern human immune systems by multiregional admixture with archaic humans. Science. 2011 Oct 7;334(6052):89-94. doi: 10.1126/science.1209202