Phone number: 410-955-8608
Research interests: Visceral hyperalgesia
Clinical interests: Functional gastrointestinal disorders and chronic pancreatitis
Schools\degrees: M.D., Third Medical University, Chongqing, PR.China
Training: Neuroscience, Third Medical University, Chongqing, PR China
Dr. Liu is interested in understanding the mechanisms of visceral hyperalgesia in functional dyspepsia (FD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and chronic pancreatitis; 1) how visceral disturbances in early life can result in persistent behavioral and emotional abnormalities; 2) how the specific peripheral and central afferents that is sensitized and lead to chronic visceral hypersensitivity; 3) the role of descending from the brain to the spinal cord or gut in visceral hyperalgesia. 4) explore novel approaches of pharmacological treatments for different animal model of functional gastrointestinal disorders and chronic pancreatitis.
- Liu LianSheng, Li Q, Sapolsky R, Liao M, Mehta K, Bhargava A, Pasricha PJ. Transient gastric irritation in the neonatal rats leads to changes in hypothalamic CRF expression, depression- and anxiety-like behavior as adults. PLoS One. 2011 May 12;6(5):e19498.Liu LianSheng, Mohan Shenoy, Pankaj Jay Pasricha. The Analgesic Effects of the GABAB Receptor Agonist, Baclofen, in a Rodent Model of Functional Dyspepsia. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011 doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2982.
- Liu LianSheng, Mohan Shenoy, Pankaj Jay Pasricha. Substance P and calcitonin gene related peptide mediate pain in chronic pancreatitis and their expression is driven by nerve growth factor. Pancreas. 2011 July 8;12(4):389-394.
- Liu LianSheng, John Winston, Mohan Shenoy, Gengqing Song, Jiande DZ Chen, Pankaj Jay Pasricha. A rat model of chronic gastric sensorimotor dysfunction resulting from transient neonatal gastric irritation. Gastroenterology. 2008 Jun;134(7):2070-9
- Li C, Zhu Y, Shenoy M, Pai R, Liu L, Pasricha PJ. Anatomical and functional characterization of a duodeno-pancreatic neural reflex that can induce acute pancreatitis. Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2013 Mar;304(5):G490-500.
- Zhu Y, Colak T, Shenoy M, Liu L, Mehta K, Pai R, Zou B, Xie XS, Pasricha PJ. Transforming growth factor beta induces sensory neuronal hyperexcitability, and contributes to pancreatic pain and hyperalgesia in rats with chronic pancreatitis. Mol Pain. 2012 Sep 11;8:65.
- Hughes MS, Shenoy M, Liu L, Colak T, Mehta K, Pasricha PJ. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor is upregulated in rats with chronic pancreatitis and mediates pain behavior. Pancreas. 2011 May;40(4):551-6.
- Zhu Y, Colak T, Shenoy M, Liu L, Pai R, Li C, Mehta K, Pasricha PJ. Nerve Growth Factor Modulates TRPV1 Expression and Function and Mediates Pain in Chronic Pancreatitis. Gastroenterology. 2011 Jul;141(1):370-7.
- Zhu Y, Mehta K, Li C, Xu GY, Liu L, Colak T, Shenoy M, Pasricha PJ. Systemic administration of anti-NGF increases A-type potassium currents and decreases pancreatic nociceptor excitability in a rat model of chronic pancreatitis. Am Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012 Jan 1;302(1):G176-81. doi: 10.1152/ajpgi.00053.2011. Epub 2011 Oct 28.