Phone number: 410-502-6056
Research interests: Molecular biology and genetics
Schools\degrees: Ph.D., University of Arizona School of Medicine
For the last several years, Dr. Abraham has been investigating and developing potential new small molecule cancer therapeutics. Libraries of small peptides were prepared using recombinant means for screening assays which included binding to and the transfer of radioactivity to various human cancer cell lines in culture. Certain decapeptides with demonstrated binding and transfer potential were chemically synthesized and further studied. The majority of his research work over the last five years has centered on investigating and assaying the inhibition of growth of human-derived xenografted tumors in immunocompromised mice (nude mice and NOD/SCID). The discovery of a method to strongly inhibit xenografted tumor growth has recently been published, and the JHU Technology Transfer Office submitted a provisional patent application based on this work to the US Patent and Trademark Office in June 2013.
- Abraham JM, Sato F, Cheng Y, Paun B, Ito T, Kan T, Olaru A, Jin Z, Yang J, Agarwal R, David S, Hamilton JP, Mori Y, Meltzer SJ. 2007. Novel Decapeptides that Bind Avidly and Deliver Radioisotope to Colon Cancer Cells. PLoS ONE 2:e964.
- Kan T, Paun BC, Mori Y, Sato F, Jin Z, Hamilton JP, Ito T, Cheng Y, David S, Olaru AV, Yang J, Agarwal R, Abraham JM, Meltzer SJ. 2007. Rarity of Somatic Mutation and Frequency of Normal Sequence Variation Detected in Sporadic Colon Adenocarcinoma Using High-Throughput cDNA Sequencing. Bioinform Biol Insights. 1:1-16.
- Abraham JM, Cheng Y, Hamilton JP, Paun B, Jin Z, Awarwal R, Kan T, David S, Olaru A, Yang J, Ito T, Selaru F, Mori Y, Meltzer SJ. 2008. Generation of small 32P-labeled peptides as a potential therapeutic approach for colorectal cancer. PLoS ONE. 3:e2508.
- Cheng Y, Yang J, Agarwal R, Green GM, Mease RC, Pomper MG, Meltzer SJ, Abraham JM. 2011. Strong Inhibition of Xenografted Tumor Growth by Low-Level Doses of [32P]ATP. Oncotarget. 2:461-466.
- Cheng Y, Senthamizhchelvan S, Agarwal R, Green GM, Mease RC, Sgouros G, Huso DL, Pomper MG, Meltzer SJ, Abraham JM. 2012. [32P]ATP Inhibits the Growth of Xenografted Tumors in Nude Mice. Cell Cycle 11:1878-1882.