Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
The wireless motility capsule is used to evaluate patients with delayed gastric emptying, a condition known as gastroparesis. Gastroparesis occurs when the stomach takes too long to empty its contents.
You ingest the capsule. As you go about your daily activities, the capsule gathers information about your digestive system. It is a noninvasive, painless method of obtaining important data about your gastrointestinal tract.
Wireless Motility Study
The capsule gathers data about your gastric emptying time. Our gastroenterologists use it to evaluate:
- Your pH level, pressure and temperature throughout your gastrointestinal tract
- Gastric emptying time, the time it takes for your stomach to empty its contents
- Whole gut transit time, the time it takes for your food to be swallowed, digested, absorbed and excreted
- Combined small-large bowel transit time, the time it takes for food to travel through the small and large intestines
Your doctor can also evaluate motility, which is how your digestive tract moves. The capsule does not take images of your digestive tract; rather, it is measuring the time it takes food products to move through your system.
Wireless Motility Capsule: What to Expect
The capsule is not for use in patients under 18 years of age. To complete a wireless motility study:
- You eat a normal meal before the procedure.
- During an office visit, you ingest the capsule.
- Your doctor gives you a data receiver, which you wear for three to five days.
- You continue your normal activities.
- After the allotted time, you return the data receiver to your gastroenterologist.
- Your doctor downloads the information and analyzes it.
- You return for a meeting with your doctor to discuss the test results.
- The capsule will pass through your body naturally.