Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
421th MEETING OF THE FACULTY SENATE
3:00 pm, Wednesday, June 19, 2013
School of Medicine Administration, Board Room 103
PRESENT: Drs. Ahn, Ahuja, Akpek, Chanmugam, Crino, Dlhosh, Gonzalez-Fernandez, Gottesman, James Herman, Ishii, Kondo, Kumar, Matunis, Molinaro, Pluznick, Shuler, Solomon, Srikumaran, Swartz, Taverna, Tufaro, Williams, Zachara
Messrs: Thomas Mmes: Smith
ABSENT: Drs., Barone, Carroll, Comfort, Fine, R. Green, Joseph Herman, Keefer, Macura, Nyhan, Pavlovich, Poynton, Puttgen, Resar, Wade, Wolfgang,
Mmes: Altimus Messrs: Bilezikjian, Brennen, J. Green, Hall, Huddle, Johnson, Mandell, Rini
Guests: Drs. Bunz, Rand, Skarupski
- Approval of the minutes
- The minutes of the 420th meeting were approved as distributed.
- Lisa Ishii, MD, MHS, Chair, Faculty Senate gave a presentation of Choosing Wisely. Choosing Wisely is an initiative of the ABIM Foundation to help physicians and patients engage in conversations about the appropriate use of tests and procedures. Also to support physician efforts to help patients make smart and effective care choices. Over thirty specialty societies currently participate. Each society identified a list of 5 frequently overused tests, procedures, or treatments and gave specific instructions on when they should not be used.
- Announcements from the Chair
Dr. Ishii offered the following announcements:
- The list of the Faculty Senate department representatives rotating off the Senate was read and Dr. Ishii thanked them for their service and time while serving their terms. Dr. Bunz was present and introduced.
- The Faculty satisfaction and salary survey results will be coming out shortly.
- Vice Dean Award presentation was last week and Dr. Jennifer Haythornthwaite was recognized. This year’s event was the best so far and it is recommended that you try to keep on your radar for next year.
- The JHM Strategic Plan was approved by the Board of Directors and will move into implementation.
- Dr. Cindy Rand was introduced as the Interim Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Development. The position announcement was sent out this week and if you know anyone that may be interested in being considered for the position you can forward the attached job description. (See Attachment)
- Dr. Mike Weisfeldt is retiring as Director of Department of Medicine. Drs. John Lewin and Landon King are heading the search.
- Dr. Harold Fox is retiring as Director of Department of Ob/Gyn and the search is still in progress.
- Dr. Ulatowski has decided to step down as Director of Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care. Drs. Henry Brem and Bill Baumgartner are heading the search.
- The search on for Vice Dean for Research is still progress.
- The faculty Senate Web Site has been finally updated and will be maintained on a regular basis. A quick demonstration of the web site was shown.
- Dr. Ishii then announced that official business was covered. She announced the Senate wanted to honor Mary Foy with a special proclamation for her 43 years of service on the Medical School Council/Faculty Senate. Dr. Ishii asked Mary to come up to receive her Proclamation Plaque which Dr. Ishii read aloud to the group. It acknowledged all of Mary’s many years as recording secretary (43yrs) and that she was the first secretary for the committee. Mary received a standing ovation from all.
With there being no further business meeting was adjourned at 3:45 and cake and beverages were shared by all in honor of Mary.