I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
418th MEETING OF THE FACULTY SENATE
3:00 pm, Wednesday, March 20nd, 2013
School of Medicine Administration, Board Room 103
PRESENT: Drs., Ahn, Ahuja, Akpek, Carroll, Chanmugam, Crino, Dlhosh, Gonzalez-Fernandez, J. Green, Joseph Herman, Kondo, Ishii, Matunis, Molinaro, Nyhan, Pluznick, Puttgen, Shuler, Solomon, Taverna, Tufaro, Witner (for Sarah Poynton), Barker (for Macura), Zachara,
Messrs: J. Green, Mandell, Pluznick, Thomas, Kumer, Rini
Mmes. Linell Smith,
ABSENT: Drs. Barone, Comfort, Fine, Gottesman, R. Green, James Herman, Keefer, Macura, Pavlovich, Poynton, Resar, Srikumaran, Swartz, Wade, Williams, Wolfgang
Messrs: Bilezikjian, Brennen, Hall, Huddle, Johnson,
GUESTS: Drs. Cofrancesco, Grossi, Jones, Kritzler
- Approval of the minutes
The minutes of the 417th meeting were approved as distributed.
- Comments from Chair Dr. Ishii
The Faculty Survey is complete and will be going live on April 8th. It is different and much easier this time. Dean Rothman wants this to get it out to all and is hoping for a much better response than the previous survey (data collected 09/07-01/08, reported in 2009). The last response rate was only 38% and he is looking for 50% this time. This is extremely important and the metric in the strategic plan plays a lot into this. Please make sure to get the word out and encourage your faculty in your department to complete the survey.
- Richard Grossi, Senior VP/CFO, was introduced and spoke regarding the $150 Million performance improvement initiative. (See attachment). He and others have been going to individual departmental meetings to present this Initiative. As the cost of healthcare increases, this is an effort to look for ways to contain costs. . Also, we need to be able to demonstrate fiscal conservancy to reduce our cost of borrowing. We need to have a positive rating to be able to borrow funds at a lower cost. As of right now we are headed for a 1% increase in Revenue and a 3% increase expenses for the next fiscal year.(Handout Attached)
- Robert Kritzler, MD, JHHC Deputy Chief Medical Officer and Dr. Sarah Kachur from Johns Hopkins Healthcare, were introduced. Dr. Kritzler went over that the Hopkins health plans, particularly EHP and Priority Partners can achieve significant savings for the system through increased use of generic medications. They are launching an initiative this month that includes mail and email communications as well as a mobile app. They also targeted therapy classes and proton pump inhibitors (nexium), statins, antidepressants and oral contraceptives. The goal is to encourage the “thoughtful” prescribing of medication. Dr. Kritzler offered that he believed there are many ways that Hopkins could reduce the cost of medications prescribed. Then he opened up the discussion for Q & A (Handout attached)
- Joseph Cofrancesco, Jr. MD, MPH, FACP, Director, Institute for Excellence in Education was introduced and gave updates on IEE’s ongoing annual initiatives. In the coming months they we will be announcing other items like calls for education awards nominations and Phase I abstract submissions for their Faculty Education Scholars Programs. They also hope to be able to soon announce the 2014 date for the education conference, save the dates for grand rounds which will have a new and innovative style.
The calendar of event are as follows:
- April 5th, IEE Education Conference and Celebration, 8 to 6, Armstrong Medical Education Building
- July 25-26, IEE Summer Teaching Camp, 8 to 4:30, Armstrong Medical Education Building
- 2nd Wednesday of the month, September through June from 4 to 5pm, Armstrong Medical Education Building, Strauch Auditorium West and the Pulmonary Conference Room 4B.44 Asthma/Allergy Center at Bayview. (Handout attached)
- Steven Mandell, Senior Director of Healthcare Information Systems offered to share the dates for EPIC Training. They are as follows:
- April 4th: Wave 1 - New Epic Registration and Schedules at all ambulatory locations throughout JHM, including JHCP, JHH ED, JHOC, etc. Epic Ambulatory EMR (Orders, Documentation, RxWriter, etc) and all JHCP locations
- May 16th: Wave 2 – Epic Ambulatory EMR at Bayview, Greenspring Station, White Marsh, etc.
- June 27th: Wave 3 – Epic Ambulatory EMR at JHOC, and HCGH SoM practices
- Aug 15th: Wave 4 – Epic Ambulatory EMR at Rubenstein Pediatric practices and SoM practices at Good Sam, GBMC, Upper Chesapeake
- June 1st: Community Division – Full array of all Epic inpatient applications including ADT, POE, clinical documentation, pharmacy, ED, OR, anesthesia, HIM, etc will be deployed at HCGH and Sibley Memorial Hospital
There being no further business this meeting was adjourned at 4:45 p.m.
Future Faculty Senate meetings:
All meetings will be held in the School of Medicine Board Room (SOM 103), 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
April 17th, 2013
May 8th, 2013
June 19th, 2013