Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine's and its' Part-time Faculty members share a longstanding tradition fulfilling their obligations to each other through an informal system of good faith negotiations and agreements between the faculty, Department Director/Chair, and Dean. The Dean and Department Directors/Chairs have long acknowledged the Faculty's vital role in educating medical students, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. In addition, the Faculty makes unique and significant clinical, administrative, and research contributions to the School of Medicine.
Extracted from JHUSOM. (2010). Blue Book: (p 4).
- Advocate inter-departmental mentoring and promotion
- Promote Faculty rewards and recognition commensurate to contribution level
- Promote high quality teaching in participation with the Institute for Excellence in Education
- Facilitate academic reviews and feedback based upon Blue and Silver Books.
What does Part-time Faculty signify?
Part-time Faculty is primarily committed to and involved in clinical care, teaching and service. Considerations for appointment or promotion include many of the criteria used for Full-time Faculty, but may involve increased focus on clinical activities, teaching, and service.
- Ranks include Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor.
- Special faculty ranks consist of Assistant, Lecturer, Research Associate, Visiting Scientist and Guest faculty. Visiting faculty serve on renewable appointments, in excess of 3 months but less than 12 months, with no commitment for appointment to the permanent faculty. Guest faculty participate in scholarly and/or teaching activities at the School of Medicine for a period of less than 3 months.
- Additional ranks comprise of Adjunct Assistant Professor, Adjunct Associate Professor and Adjunct Professor. Adjunct faculty serve on a year-to-year appointment basis. They do not receive base salary, but may receive compensation or an honorarium for services rendered to the School of Medicine.