Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
The new 1.6 million-square-foot complex was one of the largest hospital construction projects in the nation. It marks a new era in patient care at Johns Hopkins. It features two 12-story towers: The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children’s Center, named in honor of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s late mother, and the Sheikh Zayed Tower, named to honor the first president and founder of the United Arab Emirates. There are 560 all-private patient rooms, 33 state-of-the-art operating rooms, and expansive new adult and pediatric emergency departments.
For more than a century, patients have come from around the corner and around the world to receive the most advanced care at Hopkins, the place where modern medicine was born. Patients and their families will now experience a brand-new, state-of-the-art facility designed from the ground up to house the most innovative and advanced medical technologies and also provide a cheerful, welcoming environment for patient-centered care.
Facts & Figures:
- $1.1 billion construction project
- Main entrance is larger than a football field
- Lower floors are nearly 3 acres each or 130,680 square feet per floor
- More than 4,700 people worked on construction
- Front-door location
- Triple the size of the former clinical space.
- 67 private examination rooms
- Six modern trauma care rooms
- Expanded state-of-the-art imaging suite
- 17-bed acute care observation unit.
- 33 new state-of-the-art operating rooms
- 14 neurosurgery/general surgery
- 10 pediatric
- 6 cardiac
- 3 obstetrics
- Adult and pediatric prep and recovery
The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center
- 205 private inpatient rooms, including:
- 120 acute care rooms
- 85 intensive care rooms
- Level 1 pediatric trauma service
- Pediatric burn services
- Two-story indoor play area for patients
Pediatric Emergency Department
- Doubles the size of current Pediatric ED
- Capable of sharing trauma capacity with adult ED
- The only state-designated trauma center for children in Maryland
- Annual visits expected to be more than 35,000
Sheikh Zayed Tower
- 355 private inpatient rooms, including:
- 224 acute care rooms
- 96 intensive care rooms
- 35 obstetrics rooms