Paul Smaldino Publications
- Smaldino PE (in press) The cultural evolution of emergent group-level traits [target article]. Behavioral and Brain Sciences.
- Smaldino PE, Waring TM (in press) Let the social sciences evolve [commentary]. Behavioral and Brain Sciences.
- Smaldino PE, Lubell M (in press) Institutions and cooperation in an ecology of games. Artificial Life.
- Smaldino PE (2013) Cooperation in harsh environments and the emergence of spatial patterns. Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, 56, 6-12.
- Smaldino PE, Schank JC, McElreath R (2013) Increased costs of cooperation help cooperators in the long run. The American Naturalist, 181, 451-463.
- Smaldino, PE (2013) Measures of individual uncertainty for ecological models: Variance and entropy. Ecological Modelling, 254, 50-53.
- Smaldino PE, Pickett CL, Sherman JW, Schank JC (2012) An agent-based model of social identity dynamics. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, 15(4), 7.
- Smaldino PE, Schank JC (2012) Movement patterns, social dynamics, and the evolution of cooperation. Theoretical Population Biology, 82, 48-58.
- Smaldino PE, Richerson PJ (2012) The origins of options. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 6, 50.
- Smaldino PE, Schank JC (2012) Invariants of human emotion [commentary]. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 35, 164.
- Smaldino PE, Schank JC (2012) Human mate choice is a complex system. Complexity, 17(5), 11-22.
- Smaldino PE, Lubell M (2011) An institutional mechanism for assortment in an ecology of games. PLoS ONE, 6(8), e23019.
- Blümel R, Smaldino PE (1999) Induction accelerator for crystalline beams. Physics Letters A, 260, 495-501.
- Smaldino PE, Richerson PJ (in press) Human cumulative cultural evolution as a form of distributed computation. In P. Michelucci (Ed.), Handbook of human computation. New York: Springer.
- Pickett CL, Smaldino PE, Sherman JW, Schank JC (2011) Agent-based modeling as a tool for studying social identity processes: The case of optimal distinctiveness theory. In RM Kramer, GJ Leonardelli, & RW Livingston (Eds.), Social cognition, social identity, and intergroup relations: A festschrift in honor of Marilynn Brewer (pp. 127-143). New York: Psychology Press.
- Smaldino PE, Newson L, Schank JC, Richerson PJ (submitted) Simulating the evolution of the human family: Cooperative breeding increases in harsh environments.
- Makowsky MD, Smaldino PE (submitted) Altruistic groups, selfish leaders, and the evolution of power.
- Smaldino PE, Epstein JM (in prep) Individual distinctiveness and social dynamics.
- Waring TM, Goff S, Smaldino PE (in prep) Evolving the core design principles: The coevolution of institutions and sustainable practices.
- Calanchini J, Smaldino PE, Pickett CL (in prep) Formal models for the study of group dynamics: Paths and pitfalls for building agent-based models.
- Schank JC, Smaldino PE, Miller ML (in prep) The evolution of fairness without punishment.
- Richerson PJ, Baldini R, Beheim B, Bell A, Demps K, Frost K, Hillis V, Mathew S, Newton EK, Newson L, Ross C, Smaldino PE, Waring TM, Zimmerman MR (in prep) The evidence for selection on inter-group cultural variation in humans.
- Waring TM, Brooks J, Goff SH, Gowdy JM, Jacquet J, Janssen MA, Kline MA, Smaldino PE (in prep) A multilevel cultural evolutionary theory of sustainability.
- Smaldino PE (2013) Book review of ‘Complex human dynamics: From minds to societies,’ edited by A Nowak, K Winkowska-Nowak, D Brée. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, 16(4).
- Smaldino PE (2011, July) Emergence is bitchin’. Mnemosyne, 1.
- Smaldino PE (2007, June 22) In birdsong, a call to protect the earth [Letter to the editor]. New York Times, p. A20
- Smaldino PE (2006) Faculty guide for use with ActivePsych, New York: Worth Publishers.